Chapter 1: The Girl In The Attic

I rubbed my eyes and yawned as I got out of bed.

I glanced at the clock. 9:30am. Such a great time to wake up on a chilly October Wednesday in Toronto.

I brushed my teeth in the washroom and laid the attic ladder down, walking downstairs for a cup noodle.

"Good morning Onee-chan! We get a day off today. Dad and mum just left home for work. I'm going out with my friends at 10." My younger brother Aoki, who was playing video games in the living room, told me as I was making my way to the kitchen.

I didn't respond, as usual.

And my family have been used to this. They just leave me alone in peace, which I appreciate a lot.

I quickly ate my noodles, washed my own chopsticks and walked upstairs again.

"Hey onee-chan, mum said that we'll be having a new neighbour today. You might want to draw your curtains up." Aoki added a remark when I walked past.

---

Our house has 3 floors.

The ground floor, with the living room, dining room, kitchen and guest rooms.

The second floor is the bedrooms of my parents and Aoki. My original room is there, too.

And the third floor is the attic, where I sleep and spend most of my time in.

I pulled the ladder up again and secured it.

Sleeping in the attic isn't as bad as it sounds. You get a lot of room, you get big windows, and the good thing is that no one can come up without your permission since you're the only one who can let the ladder down for them to climb up here. Not even keys can break through.

I looked out of the window. Aoki joined his friends at the gates and left.

So I'm alone.

Great.

I sat down at my desk and opened the little "mail-box" I set up next to the stairs, which I had picked up after having breakfast.

My mum left me a note, telling me that my class teacher called to inform her that there will be class tests next Tuesday. She also asked if I would happen to attend school this week and she'll grab me my materials.

Dang it. I don't wanna go to that crowded jailhouse.

But I have to, in order to shut all those noisy mosquitoes up.

I wrote a note, asking mum to tell my teacher I'll be attending school on Friday, as well as Tuesday to take the tests.

And then I checked my schedule.

My shift for work would be 2pm for tomorrow, so I have a free day.

I can probably record a new soundtrack for my new production on the electone. Hopefully it can be ready for posting in a few days. My fans can't wait for that.

I smiled upon thinking of that.

But first, I need my coffee.

As a night owl I basically live on coffee.

I literally forgot about it when I was having breakfast. How stupid.

I made my way downstairs again and placed the note on the dining table, as well as snatch a few extra packets of coffee mix so I don't need to come down every time.

The doorbell rang when I was stirring the coffee.

Who's that?

Okay, I'll answer the door since I'm in quite a good mood today.