- act one

This story contains themes of gore and violence.
Viewer discretion is advised.
Please proceed with caution.

MONO NO AWARE
物の哀れ

The gentle, ivory pearls of snow droplets fell from the dreary clouds above with much grace as they danced beautifully against the air, the light of a setting sun refracting gorgeously upon the surface. You sat on the cypress floorboards of the porch, your legs dangling off the edge as the tips of your toes came into contact with the frozen ground, concealed in a blanket of delicate snow.

Little did you know that this night of Winter in 1276, Japan would be like no other for you, despite being like every other evening you had experienced thus far. You had grown accustomed to this lifestyle - you had grown up in the rural neighbourhood of Biei with your mother and father before they had disappeared in a dangerous blizzard when you had merely come of age. Now, you lived in the family house alone and spent most of your days reading books or practising calligraphy.

A minuscule particle of snow fell upon your nose, only to melt away from the warmth of your skin. At times like this, all you needed was a good drink. And with that thought now put in your mind, your [E/C] eyes swaddled over to the piece of pottery beside you, filled to the brim with sake. Picking up the jar, you held its neck as you took off the lid, your mouth salivating just from imagining the clear liquid of this alcohol sliding down your throat and bringing at least some excitement to your existence.

Finally taking the top off, you threw it nonchalantly over your shoulder into your house through the sliding door which had been left open despite the cold. Bringing the bottle to your lips, you savoured the taste of the sake as the pottery, cold from the temperature, came into contact with your skin and sent a shiver down your spine.

You wore a simple, emerald green kimono made from cotton that was held at your waist by a beige piece of fabric, neatly tied at the back as you had been taught to. Your hair, on the other hand, was let loose, and your feet were nearly completely bare, only your sandals, in the shape of a rectangular block with two wooden teeth sticking out underneath to keep your toes from coming into contact with the snow.

You finally put down the piece of pottery. You stared at an enchanting icicle hanging from the edge of your roof, drooping down much farther than the rest and twinkling beautifully as the scenery through its transparent body twisted and turned reality into a beautiful kaleidoscope of tranquillity for you to enjoy. It was these simple things that gave you pleasure in life and could bring a small smile to the corners of your lips. You were a simple girl, of simple pleasures, and that didn't bother you in any way, shape, nor form.

Standing up and heading back inside, you took off your sandals, and your feet met with the tatami flooring, the woven rush grass embroidered cleverly to stay in place beneath your heels for many years.