Raindrops (A Short Monix Story)

Mono pushed open a trap door and pulled himself out of it onto the roof of the hospital. Six followed close behind. Mono's feet walked across the cold and rough cement of the roof, puddles like mirrors soaking them. He looked to the sky, watching the rain as it gently fell to the Pale City they stood over. The worn brown paper bag that covered his face and his long brown trench coat gave some shelter from the fall. *Splash!* The boy turned his head behind him to see where the sound had come from. The girl in the yellow raincoat, who was normally quiet and reserved, jumped up in the drizzle, giggling a bit, and opened her mouth to catch the raindrops on her tongue. Six turned to Mono, a small smile on her face, which was certainly a rarity. Her short messy black hair was plastered to her face and dripping without her hood to cover it. Mono gazed at her for a moment before lifting his head up to try. Forgetting the bag on his head, the drop simply plopped onto it, startling him a bit. As he returned to reality, Six had started trotting over before slowing down to a walk in front of him. He looked up from the ground to see her standing before him, the girl he'd met through a variety of circumstances. She was trapped in a small room in The Hunter's home, with nothing but an old music box and a torn gray sweater-dress to keep her warm. Alone. Scared. The poor girl was so frightened of Mono when he first held out his hand to her that she bowled him over and ran. It took awhile for her to trust him, but she didn't really have a choice to be fair. He was her key out of The Hunter's cabin without getting caught. Even if she trusted Mono and was afraid if he left somewhere without her, she never talked much. Looking down at her, Mono was caught off guard to see a strand of her hair move out of her face, showing her left eye, deep and strange. She slowly raised her hands to his bag, a bare smile crossed her lips. He stood there quiet, allowing her to touch it. His mouth sat open a bit as Six pulled the bag just over the bottom of his nose. A string of his messy dark brown, almost black hair fell onto his face. The girl seemed to soundlessly gasp as her expression went a bit blank, able to see his appearance for the first time. She pulled her hands down, still holding them up to her chest. They gently gazed at each other for a moment before Mono lifted his chin to the foggy sky. He opened his mouth to catch a drop on his tongue. When one fell onto it, he stepped back a bit, startled again. "Great job Mono", he thought. "Scared of a raindrop". Six softly giggled holding her hand to her mouth. Mono stared at her before a tender smile formed on his face. He closed his eyes, still smiling, and pulled the old bag back down over his chin. Reaching a hand out to her, Six slowly took it and looked up at him before the two children raced away into the night.

Thanks for reading! Btw, here's the song I was listening to when I came up with this story cause why not.

youtube.com/watch?v=jYrx5nYjLhc