Dare To Begin?

But that's the thing about love, it makes its way through your body, consuming you, only leaving a trail of ashes and destruction disguised as butterflies until it reaches the heart where you're left bleeding regret... Or that's at least how I've always experienced it.

Flashes of blue and red along with ear piercing sirens are heard all around the street as police rush to the residence of Scarlett Diaz.

Reporters aka Vultures had already begun to circle the surrounding area, hoping to get a glance and scope for the mornings headline story.

Officers eventually arrived and found Scarlett sitting tranquilly on the stairs of the front porch, contradictory to her boyfriend Elijah's behaviour who was frantically trying to wrap his mind around the situation.

Without hesitation or resistance Scarlett was handcuffed and read her memorandum of rights before been escorted to the patrol car.

Swarms of reporters crowded their way demanding answers, flashes of camera lights caused a temporary blinding affect. Elijah pulled at his hair not knowing what to do before the vultures made prey out of him.

"How are you related to the Scarlett?"

"Did she really confess to killing all those people?"

"How does it feel to have slept with a serial killer?"

"Do you think you were her next victim?"

They bombarded him with questions he had not even began to fathom.

"Get the fuck out of my face before I sue you all for harassment and illegal trespassing on my property." Elijah responded.

"Here we are outside the house of 26 year old psychologist Scarlett Diaz. As you can see from the commotion behind me, police have arrived at the scene and arrested Ms. Diaz with according to our sources inside of the station at least 20 counts of premediated murder along with other charges. Sources also say that Scarlett phoned the station and turned herself in. The question on everyone's minds right now is why would she do such a thing? Perhaps guilt is eating away at her conscious? Or could this all be a game? We will bring you the details on this conundrum as soon as available. I'm Lynn Baker, Channel 7 news."

At the station.

"Go to Judge Efron's office now and get him to sign off on a warrant to search Ms. Diaz's residence." Commissioner Garcia orders one of his rookies.

"You won't' find the proof you're looking for there." Scarlett speaks up.

"That's what they all say."

"My boyfriend and I bought that house a few months back, my last kill was at least 2 years ago and trust me Captain I'm not the type to keep souvenirs."

"Don't try and play mind games with us Ms. Diaz, they won't work. Take her to the holding cells now."

A sinister smirk appeared on Scarlett's face as she knew the police where just chasing their tails at this point.

She hadn't being caught with good reason, there was no proof of her killings besides the victim's lifeless corpse that couldn't be tied back to her. All the police will ever have to go on is her word and this gave Scarlett power.

Two months later

Days turned into weeks, weeks into months. Families had finally been brought some sort of closure yet all they had on their minds was bringing a monster to justice. Scarlett knew her days were numbered and she had made her peace with it.

Death by lethal injection that was what the court had ordered. Elijah fought tooth and nail to get the ruling overturned, although he did not forgive Scarlett for ruining their lives, he still loved her enough to want her to live.

Solitary confinement was often described as hell, if you weren't mad going in you certainly would be coming out, that is if you ever get to see the light of day again.

That's where Scarlett spent days waiting for death to take her, it was meant to be a punishment but for someone who at one time took such extremes to be alone it was paradise until he walked into her life.

"Commissioner Garcia, My name is Parker Cunnings. I'm an investigative journalist and author. I thought we could make a deal that would benefit both parties involved."

"Come into my office then son, let's hear what you have to say."

Commissioner Garcia shuts the door behind him and offers Parker a seat which he gracefully accepts.

"Scarlett Diaz, I want an exclusive sit down interview with her."

"I won't ask why, it's fairly obvious at this point. We don't get many female serial killers especially not with a body count as hers. My question is, if I grant you access to Ms. Diaz, what's in it for me?"

"I'm a literary genius and when this interview airs on international TV, let's just say your stations won't need to worry about funding. I'm not doing this for money, I want to get into the mind of a serial killer."

"How much time do you need?"

"Two weeks at most."

"Fine I'll make the call but Parker, what if Ms. Diaz isn't willing to play cat and mouse with you?"

"Call it a hunch."

The following day.

"Ms. Diaz, I now know why they say never trust a girl with a big butt and smile...that girl is poison."

"Parker Cunnings, the man who leads such a mundane life that he writes about the lives of others."

"You've heard of me, so you must know why I'm here. I'm glad you agreed to come."

"It's not like I had anything better to do."

Scarlett lifts her hands up and shrugs her shoulders. The iron of her handcuffs and shackles drag across the metal table.

"Are the cuffs necessary?" Parker asked the guard on standby.

"It's for your own safety sir."

"He's right, we wouldn't want any accidents." Scarlett winks at Parker

"You're not the monster everyone thinks you are and I'm here to prove it. So where does psychologist Diaz end and serial killer Diaz begin?"

"Do you dare to begin?"

"I dare to begin."