16 ||

Chapter 16

"What do you mean you didn't kill that man?" I blurted back. It was quite obvious really. He looked at me as if the answer was black or white, yet all I saw was grey.

I had read Aaron's files and the stuff I had read was bone chilling. I think every file in this place had a sense of bone chilling danger, but that was besides the point. It struck me that some prisoners were probably innocent, I understood that, but Aaron?

Aaron pleaded guilty when faced with the judge. It seemed as if he barely fought for his freedom at all. At the time of reading that, I admired his strength to realise what he had done, but now? I was even more confused.

My heart raced at a million seconds per minute. I'm sure my fight or flight responses were starting to kick in.

"Are you going to answer me?" I snapped. He took a step forward, and I took one back.

"Chloe." He sighed. He laid his head in his hands. "Maybe you should go."

"Maybe you should go." I emphasised. "I have work to do." I tried to play it off cool but deep down I felt a little unsteady. I just didn't understand, and I hated that.

"Ok." Was his only response. Jesus Christ, was that man ever good with putting up a fight for anything in his life? Or did he just let life take him away?

"Wait." His body haltered. "Aren't you going to tell me what you mean?" He didn't say a word. "You're in prison for murdering a man, Aaron, and now you tell me that you didn't actually kill him?" I was gob smacked to say the least. "Talk to me!" I shouted.

I didn't shout much in my life but for the love of God, that man infuriated me to no end.

Aaron's body whipped around until his eyes were boring in to mine, his body one of solid rigidity. Why did he look angry at me?

"You started dating a killer, in a prison, and it's going to stay that way." He gritted his teeth. "I said what I said and I'm saying no more."

"Why are you being like this?" I snapped again. Started dating a killer? I mean it was true, but how dare he? His words didn't blow a chord within me, however. It was like what I was doing was wrong.

And it was wrong.

But I was too weak to stop it.

"Whatever I say will not make a difference in this shitty place. Forget I said anything at all." I don't know what came over me but I was angry. Maybe I didn't see grey anymore, maybe I saw red.

"You know what?" I looked him in the eyes with as much strength as I could muster. It was about time it came. "Maybe this whole thing was a mistake. I did start dating a killer, and I'm starting to regret I ever did. I barely know you. In fact, I don't know you at all. I put my job on the line for this and I don't even know why!" I blurted. "I wasn't scared of you before, weirdly enough, but now I'm as scared as ever. Who the hell have I been sleeping with?" I questioned.

My question rang true. Who had I been sleeping with? I was so dumb, so naive to have even started this whole thing. Now this man, in prison, for murder, claims he didn't kill the man at all. What was his motive? Why was he here? Why didn't he fight for his freedom? What does he know? So many questions span around my mind, I felt dizzy.