It's just the beginning

The day and night

An old man lies in the center of the town, just sitting there. He does not move or talk to anybody, he just watches the days go by into the night. Once again the old man slowly goes back where he came from, The Black and White Mountains. He only goes back in the night to sleep and in the day time, he goes back to the town. The people of the town are scared of the old man. They throw rocks at him and insult the old man with dirty words. No brave soul ever talked to the old man, not even the richest person of the town ever spoke to him.

Not even Dan and Violet, the poorest persons in town and who are very desperate for a change in their lives. They live in this small little apartment with one room, a small kitchen and a bathroom. They are married and have no kids. One day Dan and Violet were walking back to their house in the middle of the night, carrying grocery bags. Suddenly, Violet's bag broke; jars fell on the hard concrete and shattered all over the floor. Violet said "Oh no! "Our dinner for this weekend has been ruined." "Don't worry honey, I know we're poor and we're probably not going to eat for another week. What can we do, we need to find a way to survive!" Dan said. She bent down to pick up the shattered jars that she dropped. She realized a man stood there just watching her and Dan. Violet looked up and saw the man, she was shocked who it was. Dan nervously said while Violet was cleaning up "Hello sir...How may we help you?" to him. It seemed this man was following them and listening to what they were talking about. He looked very wealthy with his opulent pocket-watch, his black hair as the night sky and his eye were bright as the sun. The man spoke "Hello! Sorry to scary you two. My name is John Diamond." Finally, Violet got up from the floor and flinched at the man, and looked back at Dan with a surprising look on her face. Dan and Violet just stared at the stranger. He continues talking "Anyway, I live on the north side of town, you know...where the rich people live" Still Violet and Dan were just shocked at the fact that John Diamond was talking to them. "But I know you two are very desperate for a change in your lives. Today is your lucky day!." John said with a grin on his face. Dan and Violet were speechless, they didn't know what to say. They both knew that John Diamond is a very wealthy person and why would a person like John Diamond want to talk to poor people. Dan finally spoke "And why is it our lucky day?" He raised his eyebrow with a confusing look on his face. "Because I know a place up in the Black and White Mountain, and it will change your lives." John said. Violet was behind Dan and she said "Oh really...and where is this place you call the Black and White mountain? "And how do we get there?" "Well first the Black and White Mountain is located on the north side of the town. It takes one day just to climb the mountain if you're interested, and of course I think you are...right?" Said John with a grin on his face. "Well of course we're interested sir, but what do we have to look for something on the mountain?" Dan said interrupting Violet. Violet wasn't sure about all of this. John said "Oh, I just forgot to tell you that, well... the thing is that once you're up on the climax of the mountain you will see a tree. This tree is not an ordinary tree, it's a special tree, and the people call it the Day and Night Tree. This tree will give you three wishes, or if you get caught by The Old Man up there. The Day and night tree has a special story behind it, but don't worry about that for now." Dan and Violet looked at each other with their worried looks on their faces.

Dan spoke "Wait your saying this place you call The Black and White Mountain, on the top has a special tree that will give us three wishes? And all we have to do is climb up the mountain and somehow magically see a tree and get three wishes?" "Correct... so do you two want to do it?"John said. At this point Dan and Violet were just so desperate, tired, and just hungry. Dan and Violet agree to go to on this crazy adventure. John said "Okay first thing is when you two go up there, your eye visions are going to change to black and white instead of color." Dan interrupted him and said "Wait why is our vision going to change?." John looked at Dan and said "Just listen to me-another thing is when you two go up there, you're going to run into an old man. Whatever you do just ignore the old man, don't listen what he's saying because he's lying. Once you do all of that, on the top of the mountain, you're going to touch the day and night tree and the tree will do the rest. And just remember this Dan and Violet my name is...John Diamond." As soon John was finish talking, he'd vanished into the dark. Leaving a note on the floor, it was directions. "So what now Dan. Do we go or no? Dan was confused, he did not know if they should go or not too. But finally Dan said "We should go home for now, I'm really tired, and we will be needing our strength for tomorrow's morning to climb up the mountain." Violet looked at Dan she said "Okay...but let's not go crazy about of all this." Dan and Violet started to walk with there one grocery bag, and went home.