33 - To Never Let Go

A/N: Back with another update! My announcement has more info :> 

The door creaks.

Scanning the room cautiously, hands tight around the doorknob, is Jimin.

"Ah, Jimin! You're back."

The Commander turns in his chair. There's a welcoming smile plastered on his face, which always seems more creepy than comforting. "How did it go?"

"Not well," Jimin admits.

The smile disappears just like that. Lying had crossed Jimin's mind, but in the end he decided not to. Who knows what the Commander would do if he found out.

"Did you at least locate where they are?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then what happened?"

Jimin barely stops himself from backing out into the hallway. The Commander's eyes are narrowed in a dangerous, piercing glare.

And glares mean trouble.

"... it got out of control?" Jimin tries. His mouth is dry. It's difficult to form words.

"Evidently."

Jimin hates the icy tone.

He knows the Commander wants more information, but what could Jimin say? That he failed to be fast enough? That he truly paused for a moment and considered running into Y/n's arms and saying sorry and accepting a life on the run?

"I really did try," Jimin gulps. "I used my touch like you told me to, and I had Y/n all the way to the clearing. We were moving pretty fast..."

He trails off, searching for words. But the Commander is having none of it as he reaches his hand to a red button on the desk.

"No no no no, please! I had full contact with her and everything!" Jimin blurts it all out, desperate, and somehow he's able to speak coherently. "I swear! We were running through the forest and I had her under complete control, I was controlling her, really, but the rest of them showed up and Jungkook yelled and then she lifted the fog!"

There's a heavy, terrifying pause.

The Commander takes his hand away from the button (much to Jimin's inner relief) but his piercing glare morphs into a scowl. "She lifted the fog?"

"Yes, like my persuasion was blocked for a second? Please don't give me that look, I don't know why either."

And please don't press the button, Jimin adds in his head. It's located on every staff's desk with the sole purpose of calling in security - Training Headquarters is the end destination.

He's never going back there again.

The Commander stands up, startling him. Jimin mentally curses at his own height - the Commander, tall and slim in a dark cloak, towers over him like a menacing shadow.