All I Can Do Is Watch

Jesse didn't know what happened after the daylight brightened up the world.

 He simply... vanished. 

 But during the night he regained his conscience. Every day for seven years. With only his mother and sister for company.

 Until that one night at the London Institute. When Lucie Herondale saw him. He recognized her from the Brocelind Woods six years ago.

 He remembered how she walked towards him in the ball and he took her to the nearest empty room to understand how could she still be able to see him. 

 After that, every evening, they casually met. And she turned out to be a very pleasant and fun company and a great friend. 

 Now every night he awaited for Lucie to ask for him to come at her encounter. But some nights he just appeared in her room, eager to talk with her. 

 Every now and than, Lucie let him read some of her stories, except for The Beautiful Cordelia. He had no idea why she hesitated so much in letting him read it. Lucie always came up with an excuse, or it need polishing; or a chapter wasn't concluded; or she wanted to Cordelia to read it first. He didn't pressure her to lend it for him, he respected her privacy, but still he kept wondering why.

 Tonight he was wandering through the gardens of the Chiswick House.

 The construction was dark, quiet, abandoned to dust and spiders. His mother was sent to the Adamant Citadel and his sister was living with the Bridgestocks. 

 That place carried pain and loss as well. Some might say it was a cursed place, and, perhaps, it was. But there was something about it that kept Jesse visiting it somehow. Probably because it was the last vestige of his previous life. 

 Jesse shook his head and left Chiswick. 

 The next minute he found himself in the steps of the London Institute. Now here there is life. He thought.

 He spot Tessa and Will Herondale on the living room, dancing. He heard them laughing and the sound of the music, he imagined it to be a kind of waltz.

 For so many years he listened to his mother talking badly about Will Herondale and Tessa Gray. But they were exactly the opposite. They were good people and there was so much love between those two that it was embarrassing and one had to look away. He could tell how happy they were. A happy and loving family. 

 Jesse turned around the Institute and stopped under the windows of the room of one specific Herondale. Her electric blue eyes stuck on his mind. 

 He closed his eyes and when opened them again, he was in her room. But the place was dark and Lucie was nowhere to be seen. 

 Jesse felt his heart sank, if he could feel such a thing. 

 - She is not here.

 Jesse turned and saw Jessamine seated on Lucie's dresser.

 - She left with Cordelia and James to meet with their friends – she continued 

 Jesse sat by the window. 

 - I know, she told me last night.

 - Then why are you here ? – Jessamine gestured to the dark room – At a lady's bedroom ? Especially when she is away ! 

 - I sense you fear I'm a threat to Lucie's honor. 

 - Indeed. 

 - You don't have to worry. I would never do such a thing. – his lips turned into a smirk and he glanced at Jessamine - But I can't deny that I like coming here.