Approval

Mr Cheese and The Gentleman both had their worries about meeting the latters parents, but only one of them voiced it.  Mr Cheese knew how much it worried The Gentleman already, so he didn't want to add onto it by showing how he worried he personally was for it.  The Gentleman was adamant on it happening, despite his fears, so Mr Cheese knew he should try to make him as comfortable as possible with it.
Mr Cheese knew why he was scared.  His parents never fully opened up to the idea of their only son being bisexual and with a man.  And maybe, just maybe, The Gentleman was ashamed to show Mr Cheese to his proper, hard working parents. 
He also knew why The Gentleman had to anyway.  Despite his rocky relationship with his parents, in the eyes of The Gentleman, they were still his parents, and so it would be unbecoming of him to cut them off completely. 
So, at 8:00 sharp on Tuesday, they met at the fanciest restaurant in town, and Mr Cheese finally met the Gentleman's parents.
On the day of, Mr Cheese could tell his boyfriend got more and more anxious.  They both got ready- The Gentleman wasn't too happy about Mr Cheese's orange suit, but he lit it slide- and they drove to the restaurant where they would be meeting.
The first thing his mother said when they walked in was, "you're 5 minutes late."
"Greetings to you, too, Mother," The Gentleman said.  They both took their seat."
"Now, darling," The Gentleman's father said.  "Say hello first.  And son.  It's so good to see you.  But your mother is right.  You should not have been late."
Mr Cheese just sat there.  This all sounded boring to him. 
"I'm sorry," The Gentleman grumbled.  "For being late."
They sat there in silence for a few seconds.  Mr Cheese could tell his parents were waiting for something, but he couldn't tell what.
"The Gentleman?  Aren't you going to introduce us to your date?"
"Oh," The Gentleman said.  "Yes, this is Mr Cheese.  My... date."
Mr Cheese smiled.  "My name Mr Cheese!"
"That is... certainly your name," his mother said, obviously trying her hardest to sound polite. "And you have an interesting fashion choice." 
Mr Cheese nodded, and started eating an appetizer.  He could tell all eyes were on him, but he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do.
It continued on like this for some time, until the meal was brought out.  Mr Cheese tried to pay attention to how they were eating to mimick it, but it seemed boring and meaningless to him, compared to just eating it.
"Now, how did you two meet?" His father said, looking back and forth between them.  He set his fork down and wiped his mouth, before picking up his fork again for another bite.
"A mutual friend introduced us," The Gentleman said, not caring to elaborate.
"Yep," Mr Cheese said, chewing a little as he said it.  "It took us a while, but now we're together and happy."
"Mr Cheese," The Gentleman said, scowling.  "Stop eating so filthy."
Mr Cheese put down his food.  The whole table got quite.  The Gentleman's father cleared his throat.
"It's okay, son.  We're in public."
The Gentleman grumbled and picked at his food. 
"Sorry," Mr Cheese said.  "I... need to go to the bathroom."
As Mr Cheese washed his hands, he looked into the mirror.  As much as he wished for The Gentleman's parents approval, he did not want to live like them.  Their lifestyle seemed boring, fake, and controlled.  He loved The Gentleman, but the reason their relationship worked was because they worked together to blend both of their lifestyles.  And The Gentleman was more fun than he seemed.
Mr Cheese walked out, and overheard them talking behind a half wall- the other half being glass— that separated two parts of the restaurant.
"I just don't know why you're with someone like him, The Gentleman," his father said.  "It doesn't make sense."
"Ya," his mother agreed.  "Why don't you find yourself a nice women?  I'm sure there are plenty of pretty single women at the country club."
"Exactly.  Or just anyone, really.  I'm just not sure what you see in him."
Mr Cheese waited for his boyfriend to defend him, but he never did.
He just looked down.
It broke Mr Cheese's heart.
He went back to their table, and the conversation continued as if those words had never been said.  Mr Cheese was a bit more quiet the rest of the night, but he wasn't sure anyone noticed.
The night ended, and they paid for their meal.  They talked by their cars a bit, but eventually parted ways.
Once they left, The Gentleman let out a huge sigh of relief.  "There.  You've met them."
Mr Cheese just nodded.
The Gentleman frowned.  "Is there something wrong, Mr Cheese?"
"No," Mr Cheese shook his head.  "Come on, let's get home, I'm tired."
As they went home, Mr Cheese stared out the car window.
Was anything they had even said wrong?
Why was The Gentleman with him?
Mr Cheese recalled back to his earlier thoughts, that The Gentleman's parents lifestyle was boring, and that him and The Gentleman worked because Mr Cheese wasn't like that.
What if that wasn't true?
What if The Gentleman didn't think the same way, and he wanted Mr Cheese to be more like him?  Well, Mr Cheese knew he did, to some extent.  But what if he agreed with his parents?  What if The Gentleman wanted anyone else, someone who was more like him?  What if The Gentleman broke up with him because of this?  What if...
Mr Cheese felt a tear come on, and he wiped it.  It was best not to think about this sort of stuff.  He and The Gentleman were happy together. 
The rest of the ride back to their house was in silence, with Mr Cheese trying to keep these thoughts at bay.
When they finally arrived, Mr Cheese went straight to bed, while The Gentleman stayed up to clean up a bit.
Mr Cheese was alone with his thoughts again.
The same worries came to his mind, but he tried to keep them down.  The Gentleman loved him.  He didn't need to change.
But what if The Gentleman could love him more?