Chapter 1

So I'm starting a new Merzona (MeredithxArizona) story. I'm not liking how short and rushed my other Merzona story is, so I decided to write this one instead to make up for it.

"Amelia, who all did you invite to Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday?" Meredith asked her sister after catching her in the Attendings Lounge before her surgery.

"Just our normal group, I sent them an email letting them know that it starts at 7:00 pm, Thursday and that they didn't need to bring anything with them.

"Oh okay, I just wanted to be prepared on how many people are going to be at the house at once, thanks." She said before leaving to prep her patient for surgery.

In the OR she had just made the incision "So what are your plans for Thanksgiving?" She had asked no one in particular.

"I'm volunteering at a youth center. Sofia is with Callie so I don't have much to do. Probably just relax and eat some leftovers." Arizona said trying not to sound as upset as she felt on the inside.

"I'm hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at 7:00 on Thursday, why don't you come over. It'll be fun." Meredith says, sensing that Arizona was upset.

"Uhh, I don't know, I mean that was never really my thing," Arizona said contemplating the idea of going to Meredith's for Thanksgiving.

On one hand, she wouldn't be alone, on the other she felt like she wouldn't fit in with the crowd. She only usually went because they were Callie's friends. With Callie in New York, it was weird for her to hang out with the others.

"Come on, you could come over, eat some dinner. Maggie and April are cooking, so you know it will be good." Meredith said persuasively.

"Okay, I'll be there. You said 7:00, right?" Arizona gave in. It did sound better than the left-over Lo Mein in her fridge.

"Yeah, okay great" Meredith said. Before they knew it, they were scrubbing out of surgery and went on with their day.

In the car, after picking up the kids from daycare, Meredith asked Maggie if they needed to grab any groceries for Thursday. She said that she needed to, but she'd do that on her own, when there wasn't a car full of people. It would be easier to grab everything she needed without any kids running around.

Before they knew it it was Thursday, and they were off. They needed to start preparing for Thanksgiving dinner.

Meredith helped set the table with Amelia while Maggie started cooking. It was around 2:00 when she got paged '911'.

"What do we got?" She asked the nurse when she came in.
"12-year-old male presents with appendicitis," Olivia said handing her the chart.

"Okay, I'm on it. Get him to CT stat please." She told her intern. Turning around she accidentally ran into Arizona.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Arizona said now on the floor with the file she had in her hands before, scattered on the floor.

"No, I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going, let me help you up," Meredith said reaching for Arizona's hand.

Now that they were both on their feet she asked. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good thanks," Arizona replied.

"What are you doing here?" Meredith asked knowing that she was off today.

"I got called in. You?"

"Emergency Appendectomy," Meredith replied.

"Oh," Arizona said slightly surprised. "Me too."

Scrubbing in, she asked Arizona "So how was the shelter? Was there enough food for everyone?"

"It was good, it's sad how many people don't have families this time of year. So many people kick their children out of their house this time of year. I don't understand how people can be so homophobic that they disown their kids." She said starting to get quite agitated. "I mean it's not like they can help who they love."

"I know, and it's awful that people have to go through that. That so many people believe that it's a sin, that it's wrong when love is love." Meredith said cutting Arizona off before she burst.

Taking a deep shallow breathe Arizona said, "Thank you, I needed that."

"It was no problem," Meredith said walking into the OR before Arizona.

They were working in comfortable silence when Meredith noticed the time. It was now 5:00 pm and she still needed to get home and help with the last-minute preparations.

"Are you still coming at 7:00 or do you want to go home first?" Meredith asked after scrubbing out.

"I think I'm gonna go home and get changed before I head over there if that's alright." Arizona said, more for an approval then a statemen.

"Yeah, it's fine by me. I need to head over there and finish helping Maggie and Amelia. I'll see you then Arizona." Meredith said before leaving the Scrub room.