Prologue: The First

Three thousand years is a long time to remember something, and I have forgotten many things, but I won't ever forget that day. The day my father angered a witch was the day the world changed. She decided that for his crimes, he would lose his daughters. I was the first to die, but she failed. Her intent was to create a vampire but instead she made an unkillable monster. She succeeded with my sister, Era, she became the worlds first vampire.
I was 18, Era was 12. I had 2 children, a son and a daughter. I don't remember their names anymore. Era was pregnant with her first, it was never born. The first people we killed were our spouses. Then we killed our father for what he had caused us to become. Over the years we learned that I must drink vampire blood every one hundred years or else I will become the destroyer of the earth, a pretty heavy weight.
Era created ten more vampires, people who she thought she could save. She made a mistake. From those ten came one hundred, then two hundred, then thousands of vampires filled the earth. The original ten were dead. We stayed away from them, in Era's eyes she had created abominations, she hated them all. She killed them as she saw them, trying to rid the world of her mistake. There were far to many of them. Eventually we created a council, the oldest vampires still around. We created order and structure. The punishment for disobedience, death.
About five hundred years ago the supernatural world revealed itself to the humans. Hunters arose, the supernatural were slain on sight. Four hundred years ago the supernaturals struck a deal with many world leaders, we don't hurt you, you don't hurt us. Of course this was very loosely enforced. One hundred and fifty years ago the worlds major powers came together and gave all supernaturals equal rights and legal status.
The last supernaturals to reveal themselves to humans were the dragons. They stayed hidden away as best as possible until one hundred and twenty five years ago when it seemed that the world was holding up its promise of legal rights for supernaturals. Dragons have never been very plentiful, over my three thousand years I had only ever met maybe three. Mine and Era's lives would forever change coming into the twenty first century.