prologue

-

-

Rantaro Amami, a cool but mysterious boy. Calm and composed; with a kind, inviting smile. Though, I can't help but notice...

There's definitely something wrong. He's hiding something.

"Do you think he knows something, Kaede?" I whispered, hinting at the olive-haired boy sitting at the end of the dining table with a head tilt. Kaede glanced down the aqua table and sighed. "I...I'm really not sure. I'd like to not make any assumptions yet, but... I've got to admit, he does seem a little suspicious." She confessed, picking around her salad with a fork. She seems nervous. "Hey, we'll be okay." I reassured, reaching for her soft hand and placing it under mine. I truly didn't know if we would, but, Kaede is my friend. I want her to be okay. She cleared her throat and shook her head. "Yeah, of course we will. We're going to be okay. I'll make sure of it!" She spoke with such confidence. It brought a smile to my face. Kaede is truly one determined girl. I can't help but feel the need to protect her.

I gave one last glance down the table. There, Rantaro sat with Ryoma; having a casual conversation with each other. Tenko, Himiko, Angie, and Kaito filled up the rest of the seats, arguing with one another over nonsense. It made me smile; though, it quickly faded. I can't help but feel distressed from the impending doom we are destined to experience. Maybe I should just let it go?...

While lost in thought, Shuichi sat down next to me; first greeting Kaede, then myself. Which, of course earned him no response. "Uh.. What's up with him?" He whispered to Kaede with concern. Kaede giggled and pointed with her fork, "He's got a 'thing' with Rantaro."

"Gah! Kaede!" I expressed with embarrassment. Shuichi and Kaede snickered as I reached across the table and swiped the plastic fork from her hand. "This isn't funny! If he catches onto me, then I'll never find out!" I exclaimed in a hushed voice, putting a hand up to shield a side of my face from the others. Not that they were paying attention, anyway. Shuichi tilted his head in interest.

"Never find out what, exactly?" He questioned.

With a sigh, I glanced around the room once more. Only this time, my gaze was met with piercing green eyes from the end of the table. I did a double take, and froze. Although it was only two seconds of eye contact, it felt like an eternity. He seems so... calm, yet intense. How could anyone be so casual in a situation like this?

I cleared my throat and quickly averted my attention back to Shuichi, who was eagerly awaiting my response. "I uh... I'll talk to you about it later." I choked out. I felt embarrassed for getting caught. Shuichi gave a look towards Kaede, who only shrugged in response. I brushed a hand through my hair and pushed back my chair, gathering my plate of uneaten food.

"Wha- leaving so soon?" Kaede pouted. "Aw, don't be so disappointed, Kaede." I smirked, regaining my confident composure. "Shuichi will suffice as company; if anything, he'll be even better." I teased, winking at Shuichi. Shuichi's face reddened and he began to fidget with his hat. Kaede giggled and waved me goodbye as I stood.

As I tossed out my trash, I couldn't help but feel eyes boring into me. I felt too nervous to bother looking back to see who it was. There was no need; I already knew. I shoved my hands in my pockets, and hurriedly left the room.

"Wait- hey! can I have my fork back?!"