Chapter 1 - What now, Your Highness?

"You can get it tighter, can you not?" She asks again, not even looking at me. A little please and thank you would be nice, but I pull the corset lacing as tight as possible before fastening it.

"Is that better, Your Highness?" I ask, trying to keep my tone as bland as possible, as I get a gown out of the armoire.

"Yes. Much. Which one am I wearing today?" She turns to me, head tilted to the side.

"Well, your father requests that you join him for breakfast so I would suggest the light blue one. It accentuates your eyes and it is made in the latest fashion. Rather fetching." I reply, holding it up. She looks it over appraisingly before shrugging.

"I suppose it will have to do." I refrain from rolling my eyes at her response and start helping her into it. When I was promoted to the princess's lady-in-waiting, I didn't think I'd be putting up with the ultimate spoiled brat but here we are. At the very least it gives me a higher social standing.

I help her into her gown and shoes, making the final adjustments. I move the mirror in front of her and wait for her response in silent anticipation.

She says nothing, only nods once before walking out of her room and into the corridor. She waits impatiently for me to join her. I dip my head in apology before escorting her to the King's quarters. I knock on the door and greet the King's majordomo, who opens the door.

"Good morning, Your Highness. Lady Kathere. His Majesty is expecting you in his dining chamber." He holds the door open so she can step inside, and I can follow her. She walks through his sitting room and into the dining chamber where an elaborate breakfast spread is set out. I take my place by the wall, out of sight but able to attend to the princess should I need to. My mouth waters at the sight of such an expansive array of food, much different from the simple porridge we're given when we wake. I chew on the inside of my lip as I ignore the tantalizing smells and focus my attention on the princess. The King and princess speak mostly on trivial matters that interest me none. I only look for information that can buy me things. For now, however, it's drivel until...

"You know you need to pick a suitor soon, do you not? You'll be 17 in a few months. And by your birthday, you must be married." He pauses, and I start listening closer. "Your brother might make a more suitable heir if you can not get your act together." They've had some passing conversations on this, but this is a new level. A need for a suitor means men of the court will be vying for her hand. And maybe some foreign royalty. This could get interesting.

A/N: Hi! I've started writing an original story and I'm not sure if it's any good.. So I figured I'd post a little of it and see if anyone actually likes it. Lmk what you think!