Preface ~ The Last Letter

I wish I could tell you I'd stayed strong. That I kept my promise I made to you, and I did not for one second waiver in my attempts to find my smile again. But to tell you that would be a lie, and you were always able to see right through me so I decided such efforts would be futile.
All I can think to do is apologize. I'm sorry for how our story had to end before it ever really begun. I'm sorry that I wasn't strong enough to be the person he needed me to be, the person you needed me to be. I'm sorry that I could not stay true to my vow, and more than anything I am sorry for what I am about to do. I can't live like this, haunted by the memories of you. The ghost of you is everywhere I look and it is exhausting trying to fight my own mind every single day. A world without you is a world I have no interest in being a part of. It is a dark place now, void of happiness and goodness, laughter is a thing of the past, and I am lost.

I am so sorry that life was wasted on me rather than being granted to you, for I am simply not strong enough to go on like this and you were never given that choice. I hope you know that I love you, and I long to one day be in your embrace once more.

Until we meet again my love,

Your Via.