Don't Fall Asleep.

By: daishatheauthor

"I don't understand why you're not coming with me." Daisha fussed. This would be her first time flying on a plane and she didn't want to go.

"This is your daddy's month of visitation; I can't just come with you," her mom tried to explain.

Daisha's parents had been divorced for two years now and this was the first time she would be traveling to another city to visit her father because he had moved.

"Whatever." Daisha pouted. She was nervous to be flying, she had seen the movies, watched the shows, and seen the news to know flying was a terrible idea.

Daisha had arrived at the airport and the butterflies that she had earlier, seemed to resurface. "The flight is only two hours, you will be in Houston in no time and your daddy will be there to pick you up," her mom spoke.

"Mhm," Daisha stated as she slammed the car door, she was mad at her mom but knew it wasn't her mom's fault that they decided to get a divorce. I guess Daisha just needed somebody to blame and her mom was an easy target.

Daisha inhales as she walks inside the airport. She wanted to hurry and board but knew that she had time to spare because her mom had dropped her off early.

Making her way to her gate she found a seat close by the check-in and sat down. She scrolled on her phone until it was time for her to board. She was dreading it but was ready to get it over with. It was time to board.

Making her way to her seat, she sat down by the window and buckled herself up. She made sure it was nice and secure.

A few seconds later, a woman with brown smooth skin and long straight black hair sat down in the seat next to her. She gave Daisha a smile and introduced herself.

"I'm Erin, looks like were seatmates for the next two hours," Erin smiled.

"I'm Daisha and it looks like we are. Are you from Houston?" Daisha asked.

"Yeah I am, I was in Birmingham visiting family, what about you?" Erin questioned to keep the conversation going.

"No, just going to visit my dad," Daisha answered.

"Have you flown before?" Erin wanted to know.

"First time and I am nervous," Daisha sighed.

"No need to be, this is the safest way to travel," Erin stated.

Daisha had heard that before and didn't believe it.

Daisha heard the flight attendants come over the intercom and tell them to make sure their devices were on airplane mode, making Daisha check her phone to see her mom had texted her.

"I know we have our disagreements and I know you don't understand, but this is the best for me and your dad. Have a safe flight. Love mom."

Daisha read the message and put her phone on airplane mode without replying.

Daisha closed her eyes and tried to think about anything other than the flight. She was already buckled up in her seat. She mentally thanked her mom for giving her the melatonin pills. She had already taken one and started to feel the effect of the pill making her drowsy.

The flight attendants did their checkups and Daisha pulled her headphones over her ears and let sleep take over.

Daisha could feel the plane tremble roughly waking her up from her deep slumber. All that could be heard were babies crying and the thunder from outside the plane from the bad weather.

Daisha could see the flight attendants rushing to their seats and telling everyone to buckle up. The plane continued to bump in the air and Daisha was feeling her worst nightmare coming true but tried to stay positive.

But all that went out the window when the plane started to move from side to side, making Daisha and her seatmate Erin look at each other and hold hands.

"Everything's going to be ok," Erin spoke in a nice calm tone but Daisha wasn't so sure.

"Please everyone we are just dealing with some very bad turbulence, please stay calm," the pilot spoke, but Daisha could hear the nervousness in his voice like he wasn't so sure it was just the turbulence from the bad weather.

Daisha's hand gripped the seat and she could feel the warm tears fall onto her face. Erin had her head down with one hand still on top of Daisha's and one hand over her head. Daisha knew she wasn't supposed to open her window because they had said it over the intercom already.

She wished she hadn't had so much curiosity because when she opened the window to see how the weather was; she saw that the left engine had burst into flames making the plane go from one side to the next.

"MADAY, BRACE FOR IMPACT EVERYONE," the pilot spoke as the oxygen mask fell from the cupboard.

All Daisha could think about was her mom. She didn't even tell her she loved her back in the text message.

Daisha could feel the plane going down making her scream out with agony. "ARGHHHHHH; I DIDN'T EVEN TELL MY MOM I LOVE HER," Daisha screamed as she jumped up from her deep slumber. Just a dream.

"It's ok, everything's ok, you just had a bad dream, you good?" Erin asked making Daisha instantly hug her and start to cry.

"Where am I?" Daisha asked.

"We just landed in Houston, Texas, it seems like you had a bad dream and we tried everything to wake you, but you wouldn't budge," Erin stated.

Daisha let out a shaky voice and pulled her phone out, turned it off airplane mode, and texted her mom. "I love you, mom. I'm sorry for the way I acted; I know I don't understand everything but thank you for being my mom."

"Thank you Erin for staying with me." Daisha smiled.

"No problem, we girls have to stick together." Erin smiled.