Amity Blight, You Read Too Many Romance Novels

Wise man say

only fools rush in

but I can't help

falling in love, with you

- Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley

----------

Amity is running. Running from what, she can't tell. From her life, her parents, her so called "friends", from the pressure, from Lilith...from everything. Her breath comes out in frantic gulps, sweat running down her brow. Her feet make squelching noises as she struggles through the marsh. She makes a circle in the air, as she'd done a hundred times before, attempting to summon a small beam of light but...nothing. Her brow furrows as she attempts again. Still nothing. Panic rises deep within her. Where was her magic?

Suddenly, her ears prick. Amity hears something. She stands at attention, scanning the forest. Terror pumps through her, inexplicably. Something is walking towards her...or someone. She grabs some dirt from the ground, and holds it in her cupped hands.

A figure appears, short, around her height. "Amity!" they say, and Amity's ears perk up at the familiar sound. A tiny orb of light appears near the figure, showering it in bright light, like a glowing lamp. Brown hair, tan skin, brown eyes the color of warm earth, and a purple hoodie with cat ears. Luz.

Amity sighs and drops the dirt, her mouth widening into a smile." Luz," she chokes out, relief flooding her bones as she runs up to the human and gives her a hug. Luz lets out a small "oomf", and after a moment, wraps her arms around Amity as well.

Of course Amity, being the bumbling, love-struck fool that she is, immediately pulls away, flustered. "W-what are you doing here?" She asks, looking away at the ground. Luz had been warm, she thought, crossing her arms, as if she could keep Luz's warmth close to her. Luz's brow furrows, and she presses a hand towards Amity's forearm.

"Amity, your freezing." Luz says worriedly, taking Amity's palms between her own and warming them. Amity blushes. "It's...it's fine." she says, and pulls away. "Answer my question, Noceda. Why are you here?" Amity repeated, looking her straight in the eyes.

" I...don't know." Luz says, frowning. " I just had a feeling I had to come out here." Amity cocks her head. " A feeling?" she inquires, and Luz nods.

"I don't know. Maybe because I knew I'd run into you?" Luz asks, only to chuckle afterwards. Luz feels a warm feeling spread inside her stomach. Luz, coming into the forest because she thought Amity would be there? It was cute, honestly; like something out of a romance novel.

"Come on, we can go to the owl house! I have hot chocolate." Luz says, beckoning Amity to follow her. Amity scrambles to her, careful not to trip. "Hot chocolate?" Amity asks, raising an eyebrow. Luz looks at her, shocked. "You don't know what hot chocolate is?!?!" she asks, incredulous. Amity shakes her head, feeling embarrassment well up inside of her. Was this something she was supposed to know? What if Luz thought she was stupid for not knowing what hot chocolate was?!

Luz suddenly grabs Amity's hand and quickens her pace. "Hot chocolate is a popular drink back in the human world! It's amazing, I'll give you some when we get back! Hmm, that kind of explains why I couldn't find any places that sell hot chocolate here..." Luz talks on, filling the once silent, eerie woods with chatter. Amity smiles, feeling, for once, safe. At home, in the dark, foreboding woods, with this lively, warm girl.

Amity, suddenly, stumbles, her arm falling out of Luz's grasp. She falls, landing on her hands and knees. Luz's warmth leaves her, like a punch to her gut, as she cowers on the boggy, wet ground. "L-luz," she calls out, fear gathering inside of her. Nothing. Not a sound to be heard. "LUZ!" She yells once more, attempting to hold her head up. She painstakingly raises her head, and her eyes widen. The forest had disappeared, turning into hard steel and gloomy skies. Tall spires rose in the distance.