III

Kiyomi was now friends with Tanjiro and they talked about their lives. Kiyomi talked about her fragileness and Tanjiro talked about his family and his sister who turned into a demon. Kiyomi already knew but was still sad for him.

Then, they finally found the hand demon.

"Bleegh! That's so stinky! What is this smell?!", Kiyomi said as she covered her nose.

"Kiyomi-san, I think that's a demon.", Tanjiro also covered his nose.

"Let's go! That demon's gonna eat that boy!", Kiyomi whisper-yelled as Tanjiro nodded.

"Breath of water, Second style: Water Wheel!", Tanjiro cut the demon's hand that was holding the other boy's foot.

"Here comes another cute little fox~", the hand demon said as it regenerated.

"Hey little fox. What year of the meiji era is it?", The demon said.

"... It's the taisho era right now.", Tanjiro said looking shocked.

The hand demon froze and then got angry.

"The era name! Ahhhh!! Even the era name changed too!", The hand demon said as he slapped his hands on the ground and the other hands scratching himself.

"D*mn you Urokodaki! D*mn you! D*mn youu!!", The demon cursed.

"Why do you hate Urokodaki-sensei so much?", Tanjiro said.

"You know why!! I was captured by Urokodaki! I won't forget that moment forty-seven years ago!", The demon yelled.

"Ohoho... This is getting gooood!", Kiyomi whispered to herself as she watches the commotion.

Later when Tanjiro got super mad because the demon said he had eaten thirteen of Urokodaki's students...

'I should join in now.', Kiyomi finally got serious and joined in to calm Tanjiro down.

"Tanjiro! Calm down... You can avenge Urokodaki-sensei's students, so calm down.", Kiyomi said as Tanjiro slowly nodded and calmed down.

"Breath of Winter, Second form: Ice Spikes", Kiyomi took out her sword and shards of ice flew to the demon's hands, making holes.

"Kekekeke, another kid! This is my lucky day!", The demon laughed as his hands regenerated.

"Tanjiro! Look out!", Kiyomi shouted but was too late for Tanjiro to dodge, so he got slammed to a tree.

The demon's hands reached to Tanjiro, but he woke up and dodged it.

"Tanjiro-san! Below you!", Kiyomi said as hands were rising from the ground and Tanjiro managed to dodge it. Another hand came towards Tanjiro while he was still in the air, so Kiyomi moved.

"Breath of Winter, Third form: Snowflake shuricanes", Kiyomi slashed her sword on the air then snowflakes appeared and slashed the demon's hands.

"Breath of Water, full focus, First style: Water surface slash!", Tanjiro successfully cut the demon's head.

Kiyomi sighed in relief and ran towards Tanjiro. She suddenly remembered the demon's past life and frowned.

Tanjiro and Kiyomi looked at the demon with pity as he slowly turns to ashes.

Tanjiro went to the demon's hand and held it.

"God, please allow this person to never become a demon again when he reincarnates.", Tanjiro put his forehead on the demon's hand as the demon cries and suddenly felt warm hands on his head. It was Kiyomi.

"I'm sure your brother would forgive you.", Kiyomi smiled warmly as the demon cried more.

Cough

Tanjiro's eyes widened as he saw Kiyomi coughing out blood.

"K-kiyomi-san?! Are you o-okay?!", Tanjiro panicked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I cough out blood when I'm too tired.", Kiyomi said as she wiped her mouth with a handkerchief her mother packed for her and Tanjiro sighed in relief.

7 days later...

"We survived!", Kiyomi cheered as Tanjiro smiled. They were both severely injured, especially Kiyomi.

".. Are you still sad?", Kiyomi said tilting her head to look at Tanjiro with her hands on her back.

"Oh, yes. I was just happy we passed the test. Thank you for helping me, Kiyomi-san.", Tanjiro smiled at Kiyomi, making her nose bleed in her head. (I don't know how to explain this.)

'I can't believe he thanked me... I can die in peace now...', Kiyomi thought as she cried mentally.

"Welcome back.", The girl with black hair greeted.

"Congratulations. Being safe and sound is better than anything else.", The girl with white hair cheered.

Tanjiro looked around, upset that only four people survived. As for Kiyomi, she was happy to see her other favorite characters.

'Oooh! Kanao, Genya, and Zenitsu! This is the best!', she beamed.

"Eh? Now what do I do? What about the blade?", Genya said, looking annoyed.

"You must first pay the cost for the uniform. Then you must get your body measured and have your rank engraved.", The girl with white hair explained.

"There are ten ranks in total, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th. You are now at the lowest 10th level.", The girl with black hair added.

"What about the blade?", Genya said.

"Today, you will each choose a chunk of Tamahagane alloy. Your blade will be completed within 10 to 15 days. Also, from now on, kasugaigarasu will be following you all.", The girl with white hair explained.

Just after she said that, crows came out the forest trees and flew to their new owners. Kiyomi received a white crow which surprised her more.

"T-tanjiro-san! I have a white crow!", Kiyomi cheered as she pet the white crow's small head.

"Waah! That's so cool, Kiyomi-san!", Tanjiro said, which made her flustered.

"Kasugaigarasu is a crow that is primarily used in communication.", The black-haired girl spoke.

"Cawww!!", A crow cawed loudly and Tanjiro and Kiyomi looked at where the crow was. The crow was thrown by Genya and caught by Zenitsu.

"I don't care about some dumb crow!", Genya yelled and grabbed one of the twin's hair.

"What I want is the blade!! Give me the blade right now!! The blade of the demon killing corps!! The 'blade of color change'!!" Genya yelled.

Tanjiro grabbed Genya's arm and threatened him, "Let go of her this instant! If you won't let go I'll break your arm!!".

"Huh? Who are you? You can try if you dare!", Genya shouted.

Kiyomi could only watch the scene before her for it was an honor to see this.

Tanjiro really did break Genya's arm. Kiyomi felt a little bad for the boy. "Gaaugh!!", Genya grunted in pain as he let go of the girl's hair.

"Are you done?", The black-haired girl interrupted, "If so, please go over there, and choose the alloy that will be used to create your blade. The alloy for the blade that will be used to destroy demons and protect yourself will be chosen personally by each of you.", She (he) explained.

"You first, Tanjiro-san.", Kiyomi whispered to Tanjiro as he nodded and walked to the ores.

After he chose his ore, it was then Kiyomi's turn. She was so focused in choosing one that she found an ore that had a faint glow, so she chose that ore.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
See you at the next chapter!