01: Mana and Luffy

Chapter 1: Mana and Luffy

"Say what are you doing there, laying like that?"

She was on her back, having fallen from the sky, and was in the middle of trying to figure out where she'd ended up this time when a kid busted his head into her personal space. It was a known thing that the girl was a drifter, at least to her friends. She never planned any of her trips.

Most of them, at least. And those she did...it never ended up well for anyone involved. Because that meant answering the various calls from her subordinates (ones she normally ignored) and actually carrying out her responsibilities and filling her duties, which she disliked doing. She just wanted to see the world, to go on an adventure after an adventure.

"...I fell..." she replied with an unmistakable tone that conveyed annoyance, and a slight shame. Because she'd been startled by something as stupid as a NewsCoo flying towards her, all because her mind was miles away from paying attention to the 'traffic in the sky'.

Her body was aching from the impact of the ground underneath her, and her head spun. She winced. She would be sore for a few days. Travelling was out of the question, but not impossible. It wouldn't be the first time she'd fallen and then travelled with protesting body limbs.

"Fell?" The kid echoed, picking his nose as if the sight before him was an everyday thing. "From where? The tree?" There was one, ironically right next to her. She didn't know how, but somehow the girl had missed it a few inches.

"...Yes..." she cast him a dubious look, hoping that this nose-picking brat wasn't going to stick around.

No such luck. Of course, the girl has the worst kind of luck.

"..."

"..."

"...You're an idiot..."

She threw a random object at the brat, smirking as her shoe hit her target, and he whined. "Brat."

....

"Say, who are you?" The nose-picking brat demanded, staring down at the girl, who was still on the ground. She stared at him with an unimpressed look, currently regretting her drifting habits.

Maybe if she'd stayed with her crew, she wouldn't be contemplating whether to throw the noisy brat off of the cliff or not. He was rude and intruding on her personal space. Her foot made contact with his face without warning, causing the startled brat to fall to the ground, clutching onto his nose while attempting to hold back tears. He rolled on the ground, muttering words she couldn't decipher.

"Whtyadothtfor?!"

"Huh?" A part of her was amused, while another was annoyed.

"WHY DID YOU KICK ME, YA BASTARD?!" He shouted, her foot imprinted on his young face and blood dripping from his nose. Slightly. His spit flew. She grimaced, taking a few steps back, disgusted.

"You were in my personal space, brat," she responded, trying to look as carefree and nonchalant as possible even though all she wanted to do was laugh at how ridiculous the brat looked. Her head hurt, not from the fall (although it probably did, she just didn't want to admit it).

"I'M NOT A BRAT!" He protested, clutching onto his straw hat with the red ribbon, eyebrow twitching. The insult seemed to be the only thing he heard. Her smirk grew, annoying him even more if such a thing was possible. "YOU'RE THE BRAT!"

"Wow, points for the originality, brat." Her tone was flat, disinterested. She picked up her fluffy white hat illustrated with varying sizes of black dots, dusted it, and placed it back on her head, patting it several times to ensure it stayed there. The hat was something she'd gotten mostly for fun. At first, she hadn't given it too much thought, but over time - she couldn't help but make weird references to the Death Surgeon.