Rain

*Mia's P.O.V*

I fidget slightly as I look around. I'm hungry, again. It's been happening more and more frequently. Normally I could go for a little while without food but now it felt like I was constantly starving. Like I was never going to get to drink again. It was this almost insatiable hunger that overcame me, making me want to attack the next thing I saw.

I shiver as the rain falls down, not exactly cold from it but it certainly wasn't comfortable. The rain had soaked through my clothes, leaving me soaking wet and starving! It was like the world was against me. I slide down against one of the trees, giving up after a few minutes of walking. I had nowhere to go, I was stuck in the rain regardless of where I went.

Mud coated my legs, sticking to my skin and my fingers when I try to wipe it off. I curl up, wondering if I should get like a tent or something. Would a tent even protect me from this downpour? I didn't think so.

I feel bad for my journal, knowing that it is getting ruined by the rain. I have it tucked into my shirt, trying my best to keep it dry. I hate how my drawings may be ruined. I had only just finished the one of Carlisle. I liked Carlisle more than Jasper but not more than the blonde woman. Carlisle would bring me an animal to feed from. Either a deer or a mountain lion. One time he had brought a bear! That was exciting, I liked that.

I rub my hands together, just to get my mind off the feeling of my clothes sticking to me. I hate how the rain makes me feel this way. It was like my own personal hell of being covered in sticky stuff that I couldn't get off. If I wasn't concerned with someone showing up one day, I would have abandoned my clothes entirely and gone without.

"Little bat?" I hear Carlisle's voice, making me jerk my head up. He had started calling me that when I hadn't given my name. It's not that I didn't want to, I just kind of liked being anonymous. It made it more fun that he doesn't know my name or anything about me. I didn't know much about him either except that he worked someplace boring. He smelled so sterile when he came after being at his work so clearly it was a place that was boring.

I don't respond, curious as to why he was calling to me. Maybe he had brought me more food? I was hungry. I slowly stand up, a small frown on my lips as I look around. I knew which direction his voice came from but he could have moved by now.

"Carlisle," I say softly, not exactly calling it out. My soft call seems to work, Carlisle appearing out of nowhere. He sighs when he sees me, approaching me much too quickly for my liking. He tugs his coat off, draping it over me. It doesn't do much because he's also wet but it helps a little bit which I'm grateful for.

"You can't stay in this rain. You're soaked to the bone," Carlisle says, making me frown. A quick inhale reveals that he smells of the sterile building again. Was I the first person he had seen out here?

"Where should I go?" I ask, feeling stupid for asking the question. I didn't know where I could go, I couldn't go to town because being around humans was hard for me right now.

"Come with me, back to my home. Jasper and the others you met that day won't be there," he reassures me. I frown slightly, hesitant to accept the offer. I didn't really know if I should go with him despite the fact that I had shown that I trusted him by drinking from the animals he brought me.

"It's much warmer there," Carlisle tries to convince me and I hesitantly nod.

"I'll follow," I say, earning a small smile from him as he turns around. He's very fast and I struggle to keep up with him. He slows down when he notices my struggle and offers a small smile when we stop in front of a big house. He leads the way up the steps and I follow him, looking around as the scent of 6 other vampires overwhelms my nose.

I take my shoes off once I'm inside, not wanting to track mud everywhere despite the fact that I was covered in it. I look around, startled by the sound of footsteps as Carlisle smiles at me.

"It's just my wife Esme, she won't harm you," he reassures me. I see a woman step around the corner and I freeze slightly. Her hair is a brownish blonde color that kind of mixes together. Her face is heart shaped and soft. She looks nice but looks could be deceiving.

"Do you want to take a shower?" Carlisle asks and I look down at myself. I did want to take a shower, very badly but I didn't want to put myself in a vulnerable position by being in the shower.

My predicament seems to be understood by Carlisle, who offers me a reassuring smile but doesn't pressure me. He can tell that I'm struggling with this decision.

"How about I get you a towel and you can dry your hair and wipe the mud off of your legs?" Esme offers, making my attention snap to her. I liked the sound of that, a lot better than taking a shower and being vulnerable.  I nod my agreement to that quickly, earning a soft smile as she disappears back from where she came from.

"We have some spare clothes you can change into while you're in the bathroom," Carlisle offers, making me nod in agreement to that. I wanted to change out of these mud covered clothes. I was tired of wearing the same thing after so long plus I could always change super quick so I wouldn't be vulnerable for long.

"I would like that," I finally speak, making him smile. We didn't talk much when he brought me animals to feed from so I could tell that he was enjoying the fact that I was actually speaking to him.