By Chance

DISCLAIMER!! I OWN NOTHING BUT THE WRITING. THE SCENE CHOICES, PLOT, AND CHARACTERS ARE FROM LOUISA MAY ALCOTT'S LITTLE WOMEN. THIS STORY IS BASED OFF OF THE MOVIE!

PART TWO COMING VERY SOON

Aunt March had been pestering me about the subject of marriage for what seemed like an excruciatingly long time. I'd always known my place in the world; always known it were up to me to wed into luxury for the sake of my family. Had wanted it, too. But, I thought that I could focus on art for just a little bit longer . . .
My eyes lingered at the perfect time, as I beheld the utmost form of nostalgia. "Stop the carriage!" I shouted, my excitement halting our conversation.
He was here. I couldn't believe Laurie was here! After all this time . . .
"Laurie!" He turned, facing my direction and what seemed like familiarity and a flicker of something unbeknownst to me appeared in his eyes. The smile I had grown up seeing shown brightly on his face as he beheld me. I got out of the carriage as hastily as I possibly could, and ran straight to him. I couldn't fathom how we could have found each other in such unexpected circumstances, but I was immensely grateful!
"Amy," he gasped as my body found his arms. "What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in forever!" His gaze follows my face, "You have certainly changed."
"In a good way I'd hope!"
His face eased into a lazy smirk of amusement.
"Very much so."
"I've missed you so much! You're in Europe! Are there any ladies you have been chasing coming here," I teased. The words brought a long buried sting to my stomach.
Laurie's face dropped and in that moment I had realized the insensarity to my words. Jo had rejected his proposal. I had loved him all of my life; had pined over him since the moment I met him, yet he loved my sister and I couldn't bring myself to have enough selfishness to have delight in his trouble. Couldn't bear to think of any possible opportunity when he was hurting so. Plus, I had Fred now.
I squeezed his hand as I took it into my own. "Laurie. I heard about you and Jo . . . I'm so sorry." The words were the truth.
Pain and bad memories shown in his sea eyes.
"Don't be Amy. I'm certainly not." I didn't quite believe his words, but I could tell he was trying to move on.
I opened my mouth to say something else, change the subject, when Aunt March called out saying that we needed to leave.
I took in every bit of his beautiful face, and gave him the biggest smile.
"It was amazing to see you, Laurie." He, too, returned my smile. I forced myself to let go of his hands and make my way to my waiting carriage and aunt. I was finding my way onto the carriage, and Laurie rushed up to me, grabbed my hand and said "when can I see you again?"
My heart skipped a beat.
"Oh, Laurie, you must come to the ball! Everyone's going to be there! Fred, also." Fred, I suddenly remembered.
"It would be my honor." He stared straight into my eyes, and then made his way back to walking to wherever he were off to.
I slumped into my seat, withholding my grin. My heart was beating very fast, I'd noticed.
Aunt March was throwing me a sidelong glance, the accusation in her eyes piercing me.
"It's Laurie!" I'd said to her.
"Hmm." Was all she returned.