Introduction

Extended Summary

Promises are peculiar things. If a promise can withstand the lapse of time, it can intertwine two people's fates forever.

Bryan was born gifted. He didn't ask for it nor did he want the superhuman ability. After it destroys his family, he is ashamed of his power and vows to never use it again. Years pass with him suppressing his ability, but his self-control breaks after he meets a fellow peculiar girl. The two of them form the unlikeliest of friendships with a promise serving as the glue between them.

They are each others' saviors, but together they work to save the world.

Author's Note

Bryan's supernatural power is based off of a real physics concept known as special relativity, which was studied by Einstein. It is a really neat idea that is hard to wrap your head around, but in the external link I included an interesting/fun video that explains it a little more scientifically. However, it is *not* necessary to understand any of these concepts to enjoy this novel.

Credits

Some images I take will be from this beautiful tumblr account:

wordstuck.co.vu

Preview

A hummingbird's wing beat, a flash of a camera. Fifteen milliseconds. That's how long it takes to travel from the eastern most part of Maine to the western most point in California while running at nearly the speed of light.

...But that's only from the runner's perspective.

From the outside looking in, it takes much longer than fifteen milliseconds. Take a stopwatch and time runner from when they leave to when they arrive.

One hour and thirty minutes will have passed.

In physics, this phenomenon is known as time dilation in the realm of special relativity. According to Einstein, time is relative and can differ according to what frame of reference a person is in. In this case, time differs between the runner's and the normal world's point of view.

Essentially, for every second that a person spends running at the speed of light, four and a half days pass in the normal world.

Confused? Welcome to Bryan Scott's life.