Chapter 9

Asteria hadn't heard any news from Obi-Wan or Rex and it had been almost a full rotation. She sensed that Obi-Wan was safe but it still worried her that she had no news from them. Anakin decided that they wouldn't go to the system to assist unless they needed backup, he didn't want to risk not having a general in space in case the separatists decided to attack.

Asteria stayed in the pilot room to make sure she would be the first one to see if they needed any help. Suddenly her comlink started going off. She noticed it was Jesse calling and she immediately answered,

"Jesse are you alright? Why hasn't anyone contacted us? do you need assistance?"

"I'm sorry General, we've been busy going through the remains of  Grevious's escape pod. It seems he crashed here and fled somewhere we've been tracking him. Rex got shot down he's not responding, we're on our way to find help for him, I just wanted to let you know about Rex." Jesse told her as her heart dropped.

"Oh my, how bad is the captain? Are you sure you don't need any help? I can come just me and a couple troops we don't have to bring everyone I-" she was interrupted by Jesse saying,

"General it's okay. We'll take good care of him I promise you'll see him again. I must leave we're approaching help."

"Good luck." Asteria told him as he hung up.
She sat down in shock. What if she never got to see Rex again? She should have given him more than a kiss on the cheek, no she shouldn't even be thinking this way and she shouldn't have even done that. She's a general and he's a captain, nothing more. She started thinking about his golden eyes again and got emotional, she hoped Rex would be okay.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Asteria was doing the same patrol route her and Rex did together. She was so worried for him she was afraid she'd break down if anyone spoke of him to her. She tried keeping her head down, whenever she'd see a clone she'd think of Rex. She wanted to call her troops and get an update on his condition but she knew they were busy.
Suddenly her comlink went off, she looked down and saw it was Rex calling her. She went into the nearest room and answered. He looked like he was in pain, his eyes were shut and scrunched up, she wondered if he called her on accident, she didn't say anything at first not wanting to disturb him.

"Asteria are you there?" Rex asked with his eyes still closed. She could tell he was laying down.

"Yes Rex I'm here. What happened are you okay? I'm coming to you don't worry." She told him in a panic.

"No no General no need for that. I'm covered, I'm not sure where I am but the boys brought me to heal here over night, they'll be back for me in the morning. I got shot in the chest. Kix told me if it went 2 inches to the left it would have gone through my heart. I'm a lucky to be alive right now." He told her.

"Oh my Rex, what if something seriously happened to you? Anakin should have let us go with you I should have been there with you I can't believe him-" she was interrupted by him saying,

"Hey watch it General, I might start to think you like me." He said with a soft chuckle and his eyes still shut.

"Come on Rex, this is serious. I don't want anything to happen to you." She told him.

"I understand Asteria, but that's out of your control. This is how life is, this is what I was meant to do." He said seriously.

"It could have been in my control if I was there. If Anakin wasn't so stubborn I could have been there with you." She said getting frustrated.

"Hey hey don't blame the General he's just doing his job as well. I'll pull through for you Asteria I promise." He said opening his eyes a little with a smile.