Prologue

It was an uncharacteristically cold night in Australia. The breeze was blowing and the air was cold but incredibly soothing. The night was really young and it seemed to stay like that. Little did the night know that with this special night comes a special meeting.

For Edward Chen, it was just another thing that he's doing because his parents told him so. It's not like he needed it that much. His math grades were passable but his parents thought that he could do better.
So, there he was, stuck on this tutoring thing when he could be practicing instead.

For Brett Yang, he was there because he needed it. Not much, but it wasn't his strongest quality. He never promised to try his best, after all, he wanted to be a musician. But he'd try, he really would. Everything would've gone smoothly if this boy beside him wasn't so cheeky.

"Hey, there." The boy started. Brett sighed, a little annoyed. He put on a deadpan face, answered,

"Hi," then proceeded to take notes on his notebook.

"Sooooo, what's your name?" The boy persisted for a conversation.

"Brett Yang." He answered, not taking his mind away from the lecture. There were a few seconds of silence.

Was my tone too harsh? Brett thought.

Nah, gotta focus.

"Are you not even gonna ask my name?" The other boy said persistently, but a little disappointed.

"Fine then,"

"What's your name?" Brett said, staring into the boy's eyes, putting on a forced smile which soon turned genuine.

Brett finally gave up and gave in to the cheeky boy beside him. He knew that he wouldn't be listening to the tutor anyway.

"Edward Chen." The boy said, smiling back and no sarcasm was left on his voice.

Brett didn't exactly know what to say but talking to the boy made him hate the tutoring less. He just gave in, whispered conversations about anything and nothing all at once. He almost forgot what his purpose for coming there, in the first place.

The hours of tutoring he had thought would feel like an eternity now felt like just a few moments. All because of one person.

Edward Chen.

He'd remember that name for next time. It being their next tutoring session. Because of him, tutoring was now something to look forward to.

The world does seem to have its own plans to redirect people to pursue their fates. Brett didn't want to believe fate or destiny, but it seemed like the world was using it's magnetic field to allow Brett Yang to always meet the one and only Edward Chen.

He starts to believe fate the next time he had met Edward Chen. Conveniently, Brett Yang had met Edward Chen again. It was funny since they never really talked about music last night.

Other coincidences: they both played violin at the same youth orchestra.

Whether it was fate or destiny, Brett just let it be. There must've been a reason why the universe keeps on making their lives cross one another.

On the other hand, Eddy was grateful for the world. What were the chances that he got to meet his newfound friend? Whatever chances there were, it landed on that very moment at that exact time, and Eddy was elated about that.

He would've seen Brett the next week, and yet he was excited about seeing him once again. Maybe for other acquaintances he wouldn't have felt the same way, but for Brett?

Brett was different. He felt a connection with him. Conversations seemed to flow smoothly and effortlessly. Social anxiety seemed to have never existed. The world seemed to feel so surreal.

So here he was, smiling to himself, thanking all the gods and deities in every universe that they had been brought together once again.