• chapter one •

I was humming along to the melody that was escaping from my earbuds. Listening to music early in the morning gets me in a better mood. Walking to school isn't the best option but we live close by so it'll have to do.

I look up and see the entrance, here we go again.

It was the beginning of my junior year in high school. I'm not that excited since junior year requires so much more accountability but what can we do? Since today is the first day back I made sure to arrive earlier to look for my first period class. Usually they start class at nine thirty on the first day back to allow the freshmen to get adjusted and make their way around. Which is a benefit to us upperclassmen because we get to waste an hour or so.

As soon as I walk through the front gates I smell the teen spirit. I look for the asb table in which they hand us our schedules. I spot it far off near the basketball courts passing the quad. There's so many people nearby.

My stomach always aches on the first day back. I may be older than most kids here but I'm still concerned of not passing their vibe check. Pubescent children scare the hell out of me, especially the popular ones. I'll just pull out my phone and pretend like im texting somebody. That way I don't look like a looser in front of all these people.

While walking towards the asb table I walk past this small alley in which the restrooms and a few vending machines are located. I cringe when I see a couple eating their faces off, I slightly shake and turn to face the opposite direction. It's not high school without witnessing some random couple making out in front of half the school.

I pick up my pace and speed walk to the asb table, I dont wanna bump into any other weirdos.

Once I get there I look for the line in which they'll be handing out the schedules for the people with the first letter of my last name. The line isn't that long which is good.

After a three minute wait I finally reach the front of the line. I make eye contact with the random boy from the asb. He looks at me with tired eyes. Poor things they must have to arrive at school much earlier than me. He then asked me a question.

"Your name?"

"Y/n L/n"

The boy shuffles papers around until one at the bottom of the stack catches his eye. He pulls it out gently and examines it. He then hands the paper over to me and I gently remove it out of his grasp.

"Thanks"

"Yeah don't mention it"

I smile politely and walk off to not interfere with the others in back of me. I look up to the first chart at the top left of my paper. My first period class is government... in room 204 at the C building... and my teacher is Erwin Smith. I don't recall hearing that name before. It must be a teacher I haven't seen before.

I take my phone out of my pocket, what time is it? Eight forty... still early. I should look for Sasha and Connie. Should I text them instead? Nah, I bet they're near the vending machine bench.

I don't really like that seat because way too many guys like hanging out near that restroom and vape their lungs off. Its always the douchy football players that lock themselves in the stalls and come out reeking. But at least I get to see him.
While walking towards the bench I spot sasha sitting there devouring a cereal bar with a box of the cafeteria milk. In the corner of my eye I see the area in which a small staircase is located. Near the art rooms and there i see him. Awkwardly standing watching his friends flirt with random girls, while he just watches and fidgets with his sleeve. That Bertholdt, he's so cute, something about his shy persona and his tall stature makes him so precious. I had a crush on him during sophomore year when we were paired up for PE and he gently spoke to me. He wasn't like those other guys who cuss you out for not treating PE like the Olympics. Plus he's so quiet I love guys with a silent personality. He was just my type, I couldn't help but like him.