Paalam

You smiled upon feeling a cool breeze of autumn air against your skin. It's been awhile since you step out of your house, wearing something nice and heading towards one of the places you used to love. You could easily take a cab towards that place, but you chose to walk. Wanting to reminisce the old days when you were still young and hopelessly in love with him—Akaashi Keiji.

You turned your head towards the park you could see from where you stand. A lot of things had changed, but the wooden bench is still there. Oh, that poor wooden bench. It had seen the good, the bad, and the ugly side of your relationship with him.

The good—Akaashi Keiji nervously stood from his seat, facing you... sort of? You tried to look at his eyes, but he looks away, avoiding your beautiful eyes. "Keiji-kun, did you just invite me here to avoid my eyes?" you asked, your voice laced with playfulness. You weren't sure if it helped him or if it made him more nervous than he already is. "Keiji—"

"I've thought about this for months. I've been planning for this for weeks, but I simply can't get the perfect timing." You pursed your lips as you look at his cute hands which are curled into fists. "Either you're busy with our school activities or you'll be helping us with the volleyball club." Then, he took a deep breath before looking into your eyes. "That's why..." Blush tinted his cheeks. "That's why..." he clears his throat. "...why I tried to...I'm trying to do this now." You tilted your head, smiling at him. "Marry me?"

You laughed at his question. You are fully aware that it wasn't what he was supposed to ask. The moment he asked you to accompany him in this park, you had a hunch of what he's about to say. "Keiji-kun, not yet," you gently told him.

His entire face became flushed. "Please?"

"Keiji-kun, you do realize that you're asking me to marry you, right?"

His eyes widens. "Oh."

You shook your head upon remembering that night. He looks so flustered.

Then, you sighed.

The bad—He bailed. Again. You've lost count of how many times he had to bail due to 'unavoidable' situations in their university. But of course, you trust your boyfriend. You knew him since you were in high school. You've been together for years. Hell, you're already living under one roof for almost a year now. You knew him. You think?

"Keiji! What is it this time?" you asked as you saw him walking towards your direction. You were sitting on the wooden bench for hours. You were lucky enough that it didn't rain earlier. "Am I asking too much of your time?"

"We've already discussed this—"

"Exactly. We've discussed this already and we've agreed to clear our day to spend time with each other." You rubbed your face in frustration. "Am I asking for too much of your time?"

"We have an important project."

You rolled your eyes. "Yeah, right. Important," you grumbled. You picked up your bag before walking ahead of him. Sometimes, you really wonder who among his professors gave them way too much projects within one semester.

The ugly—"I'm tired." He stated while the two of you sat on the wooden bench. You were both heading towards your shared home when he suddenly asked you to the park that you used to love.

"Tired of what, exactly?" you asked, sighing heavily. "Of your never ending projects?" you joked.

"Of pretending."

You swallowed the lump in your throat. You weren't expecting that night to be the last night you'd ever speak to him. If you'd be reminiscing those memories few years ago, you'd probably bawling your eyes out by now. It really takes time to heal a broken heart. Partially.

Honestly, you were still unsure why he left you without saying a word. Not even a letter... not even an explanation. Maybe, just maybe, you can finally free yourself from your past after this day.

You've proceeded towards the nearby coffee shop. The nostalgia hits you like a truck. Surge of bittersweet memories flooded your mind. The what ifs, your dreams you've shared and planned in this place while drinking your favorite drinks... everything.

You harshly wiped away the tear that escaped the corner of your eyes. "Let him go, Y/N," you told yourself as you look for him. When you spotted his familiar face, your grip around your bag's strap tighten. Your stomach churns as soon as he looks at you with a friendly smile on his face.

You made your way towards him despite your shaky legs. You sat on the empty seat across him and looked at his eyes. The same eyes that you used to adore. "It's been awhile," you began, pursing your lips as you heard your voice quiver. "You..." You licked your dry lips. "...look better."

Akaashi nods his head with that same smile he used to give you. "Thank you," he responded before complimenting your appearance. "I've heard about your recent promotion from Konoha-senpai." Then, he smiles. "You're about to achieve your dreams."

You turn away from him, brushing the tears from your eyes. "I'm sorry," you whispered, rummaging your bag for your handkerchief. "I... I can't help it." Your close friends had warned you beforehand that seeing him again would be like opening a can full of worms, but you insisted. You need this.

You need him.

You need to see him.

Akaashi sighs. "I'm sorry."

'Let's discuss this tomorrow. I'm tired.'

"For lying..."

'You're asking for too much!'

"For not admitting my mistakes."

'You have your friends too! I never said you can't spend your time with them.'

"For not treating you like I've promised."

'Akaashi—'

'Just a sec.'

"For leaving."

Silence filled your apartment. Not even the sizzling of pans while Keiji prepares his breakfast nor the sound of television. All you could hear is the sound coming out of your air condition. "Keiji?" you called, while reach for him. Hoping to feel his warmth.

You were confused when his side of the bed was clean, as if he never lied next to you before you fell asleep. Panic seeps into your mind. "Keiji?" you called, your voice louder than it was earlier. "Are you taking a bath?" you asked, pushing the blanket off of your body. "Kei—" you paused when you couldn't hear any running water inside the bathroom or the shower.

"Keiji?" you called, but there was none.

You waited for him to return... to call... but there was none.

"Why did you do that?" you asked. "Am I at fault? Was I too clingy? Am I too detatched?"

You've been waiting for this moment. When you can finally ask for his explanation. "No," he immediately responded as he shakes his head. "You... you were a wonderful girlfriend, Y/N. Please. It was my fault." You look at him, his fingers were wiping the tears from his eyes. Then, he sniffs. "I got too scared."

"Of what?"

"Of not being enough."

You chuckled drily. "So, you pushed me away? Is that it?"

You pursed your lips as you saw his familiar gesture. The same action he did when he confessed his feelings towards you. "You threw away everything because you're scared..." you said in disbelief. "You... should've just told me. Instead of leaving without saying anything."

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't be." You forced a smile. "Thank you for inviting me here though. At least, I could finally heal my heart completely."

"Y/N..."

You stood from your seat. "And congratulations, for your marriage. Ah, and for becoming a father."

And that was the end of your love story.

One without the happy ending.

Without the fancy happily ever after.

But at least, you're free from him.

Completely.