Chapter Twenty Two

years after the end of Part One

Mallory

September was almost over, and my part-time teaching job would start up again. To the shock of everyone around me, I dropped my Economics course and got a qualification in education instead.

Reid's crash threw my life in a completely different direction. I wonder if without it, would I have wanted change? My neatly paved-out path would still track ahead without me, but would I follow it?

After Reid left me at the Lake four years ago, I sought out Nick. Initially, I wanted comfort, but Nick deserved more. He was sweet and generous when Reid wasn't there for me. Our relationship blossomed into something steadying and comforting.

Now, we lived together in an apartment miles from everyone we used to know, enjoying our well-earned privacy and seclusion. Waking up next to Nick every morning was a privilege.

I was flipping pancakes one morning when Nick came into the kitchen and kissed my cheek. "Hi, gorgeous."

I turned my head to smile at him. "Hey. Look what I'm making." I pointed at the stove.

He smiled, walking back to the living room as he tossed a comment over his shoulder. "My favourite. I'll get the mail."

Nick quickly returned to me with a pile of paper in his hands. He sat on the counter, shifting letters through the pile and quickly glancing at them.

"Mallory, look at this." Nick eventually said. I frowned, turning off the stove and moving to him. His brow was furrowed, and he was staring at an envelope with a message written in fancy script on the front.

He took out the letter and quickly read the lines at the top. "It's a wedding invite. Tony's getting married."

I looked at the enclosed picture and froze, recognising the bride. It was Kennedy, my best friend from high school. 

I frowned, looking up at Nick. "Kennedy was my best friend in high school. How on earth did she meet Tony?"

"Really?" Nick asked, looking shocked.

"Yes. Kennedy and I met Reid at the same time." I said numbly, barely able to think straight. I didn't register that I had said Reid's name for the first time in years. 

I looked back at the page again. There was a snapshot of Tony and Kennedy together, looking overjoyed. Tony's eyes smiled at me, identical to his brother's. My heart stuttered for a moment, then I regained control. Thinking about Reid still hurt me.

Nick looked at me strangely, but he didn't comment. He turned back to the invite, scanning the page. "They're having a pre-wedding rehearsal next week. Kennedy wants you to be a bridesmaid."

"What about Tony?"

Nick shrugged. "He offered me groomsman, but I'd feel awkward. We lost touch ages ago."

I eyed him. "I'm not close to Tony or Kennedy, either. Not anymore."

"You say that, but who did you call up drunk at your last birthday party?"

I smiled. "Well, Tony used to be my voice of reason when I was in college. Listening to him was never a good decision."

"I'm shocked you made it out alive." Nick quipped.