Soul

You know who I am right? 

You should. I just told you.

I'm Faye.

Oops! I just told you again. But only because I wanted to make sure you knew!

For the record, Faye means loyalty, confidence, trust, belief. 

I think all those things are things that make a friend a...well, a friend, So I like to have them on me.

And belief is important. Without it, nothing can happen.

I'm Doll type 12. It's the most popular doll out there. Ever.

And yeah, I'm a doll...get over it.

You're dolls can talk. They're people too. But seriously, we know we're not supposed to, but otherwise, how would we get anything done?

So, don't tell anyone. Shhh!

I live in the Institute of Imperfection. That place has a whole story behind it. And you've probably noticed I talk a lot anyway, so I'm not going to bore you by telling it. But it's something we all have to know when we get here. That's why people teach history...so it doesn't happen again.

Now, when I say 'when we get here,' I mean, when me and the other dolls in my manufacturing group come to the Institute. We're personalized in the Individualization settings, and then, we're off!

Off to do what, I'm not exactly sure. Get ready for the Big World. And our child. That's supposed to be every doll's dream, but I don't see what the big whoop is. All we do is lie around while the kid does whatever. That' doesn't sound right to me. In fact, it sounds dangerous. What if the kid throws me into a garbage compactor or something? I don't see why everyone is in such a big hurry to get there. We have everything we need right here!

Imperfection is...a wacky place. Just by it's name, you can tell it's got big things going on. It's got the portal to the Big World. It's got dolls of all shapes and sizes. It's got an amazing mayor. And  motto.

Every great town has a motto.

'Be Yourself-Be Loved.'

If our town is all that great, I don't see why people want to go to the Big World.

But here I am getting ready to go anyway. I guess it's Doll Duty or something.

The thing about us dolls, us walking talking people dolls, is that we need a few things before we can go to our kids. We need to be personalized, really personalized, so we can be matched with out perfect kid through the portal. Like, we need to know ourselves.

I know myself pretty well, though.

I'm a storyteller/model. Apparently, the model part was installed long ago, and they haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Don't ask me what it was for. They Veterans here won't tell me. The Veterans being a bunch of dolls who were here a long time ago, and were part of the Making of Imperfection. That's what everyone calls it.

I'm also kind of a ballerina. I like to express myself. I have very strong beliefs. 

My best friends are three other dolls, Darling, Swan, Alice and Peter. Peter is the boy.

I have mentors. All dolls do. They help us find our Sparks.

Sparks are things that make us, well, US. Like, Duchess likes ballet, like me. And Alice likes stories, like me. And Swan likes exploring...like me.

So, I don't have a Spark yet. I don't stand out with something special of my own. I'm relatable to every other doll in the crowd.

Once I get that Spark, it's off to the Big World I go.

So I'm not sure if I want it yet.

I have two mentors, named Wendy and Robin. They're pretty patient with me, but their job is to get me my Spark. So, it's a bit of a problem.

Mostly, dolls roam free. You come and go from the Big World, but only when you're kids not noticing. Apparently, dolls can just tell when they have to go back home.

Like I said, I'm not exactly ecstatic about the Big World. I'm in no hurry to get there. But if I have to, I will. Confidence, remember? That's Faye.

That's me.

Now I have a story to tell.

It's a learning story. Like every other story, the character learns a lot. usually about themselves, Sometimes about others.

I think you know I don't know a lot about the place I live.

Like who is this rogue doll who tried to destroy the portal? And why does everyone say he did that because he was stark, raving mad?

And what made him mad?

All I know is, you don't go mad without a reason.

You know I don't have my Spark yet. I have my personality. I have my traits, my beliefs, my talents. I have almost everything I need to have a soul, and to go to the Big World.

Can't go to the Big World without a Soul.

But this isn't the story of how I got my Spark...or my Soul.

It's how HE got HIS.

This is my new friend, Lou.

'Hi.'

And he's going to help me tell his story.