Chapter 1

Everyone who attends Mendler High knows Annabeth Chase and Luke Castellan have been together forever.

To be fair, forever might be a bit of a hyperbole, but a six-year relationship is a feat in itself, particularly with young couples. It's been forever in teenage years, maybe.

But... Even people who don't attend Mendler High know that Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase have been close friends for even longer. They'd joined forces in the third grade, while Luke and Annabeth had begun dating in the seventh grade. Percy tends to keep quiet about it, calmly accepting the difference between "they've been together forevers" and "you guys have been friends for a whiles." He gets it, he does, relationships are more important than friendships, at least to high schoolers curious about the latest drama.

If he's being honest, Percy's always thought Annabeth and Luke would get married, settle down with a few blonde-haired kids and be a model family. He's never been inclined to think differently since Luke looks at Annabeth like she's the sun and Annabeth doesn't hesitate to return the sentiment.

They're seniors in high school now—Percy's ready to be done and over with the place, Annabeth's ready to skip off to college, and Luke… Well, Percy doesn't know about Luke. Come to think of it, he and Luke had never been exactly best buds, but it's never been something he found worrying. After all, "best friend" and "boyfriend" were two very different titles, and it made sense that they would be kept separately.

Percy's in his seventh-period art class when he realizes things are changing.

Annabeth: Hi. Are you doing anything after school?

He frowns a little at the message as it buzzes through; Annabeth usually cares a little less about grammar when she's texting, and it's not often that she maintains such a formal voice, especially around him.

Percy: no, i was just going home is everything alright?

Annabeth: everything is fine I'm sorry I didn't mean to worry you! I just need some advice

There we go, Percy thinks, marvelling at the fact that he's always able to bring Annabeth back to normal regardless of the situation. She's told him that before, too, he grounds her better than most people. As a best friend should.

Percy: advice?

Annabeth: we'll talk after. Drive me home

Percy grins a little at the demand, smile widening when she follows it up with a 'please'. He answers in the affirmative and zones back in on the conversation surrounding him.