An Unexpected Encounter

I walked into the banquet hall and looked for a place to sit down. I did not ask a girl to club banquet this year. There was an endless possibility of choices I could make. I looked around and a figure caught my eye in the corner of the room. It was a breathtaking young woman with radiant skin wearing a long navy-blue dress. Her hair was curled, and jewelry adorned her body. Surely, she has a date, I thought to myself. I slowly walked up to her.

"Do you mind if I join you?" I asked. My voice was shaking.

"I don't mind at all," she answered in a flirty tone.

I could not believe what I had just heard. I pulled the chair out and sat down.

"Hello, my name is Zach," I said.

"Hello Zach, my name is Jessica. It's nice to meet you," she replied.

I paused for a moment. I didn't know what to do next. No videogame had trained me for this situation.

"I like your dress," I blurted out, regretting what just came out of my mouth.

"Thank you. I bought this dress for banquet. It cost a month's rent. I like your suit and tie," she expressed cheerfully.

"Thank you. I've had this suit for a while," I replied.

     We talked through dinner and I had the feeling that there was chemistry between us. The music started playing and people made their way to the dance floor.

"Do you want to dance?" She asked me.

"Um... sure," I answered trying to play it cool.

We made our way to the dance floor. She danced like no one was watching in her six-inch heels while I tried not to make a fool of myself. The DJ played a slow song and all the couples got together and started to hold hands. Jessica made eye contact with me and smiled.

"Take my hand," she whispered.

I took her hand, and she grabbed my other hand and put it around her back.

"Follow my lead," she added.

My heart was pounding. I tripped over my feet at the beginning, but I started to relax and enjoy the song. Her blue eyes sparkled in the dim light. Without thinking, I asked her a question.

"Would you like to get coffee sometime?" I requested.

I immediately regretted what had just been said.

"I would love to. Let me put my number in your phone," she rejoiced with a smile across her face.