Rifted

Restlessness always led him into the unknown, whether it be minutes or hours away. One day, he swore it would lead him across the world, but for now, hours were fine. When life was boring back at home and he needed a journey, hours of exploring the highways would lead him into a bigger city. Today happened to be one of those days.

Fade walked along the lake shore, tearing from the trail to watch the stream flow as he took in the fresh air. His small town had bridges and parks, sure, but it was nothing compared to the city he found himself in. The skyline was a beautiful sight as the sun set behind the tall buildings off in the distance. He took his phone out to snap a quick picture.

Just as he slid the device back in his pocket, Fade felt his phone vibrate and smiled when he saw his sister's distorted face (courtesy of satire filters) as the contact photo. "Hey, Alyssa, what's good?"

"I'll tell you what's good, asshole," she said harshly from the other end. "I called you earlier and you didn't pick up, then I called you again and you didn't pick up. "Where are you? The damn desert?"

Fade snickered. "Which desert would I be at?"

"I don't know, middle of California?"

Continuing his stroll, he zipped his jacket up to shield himself from the chilled autumn air. "You know I keep my phone on vibrate. I turned it off earlier, too. Was exploring, you know?"

"Uh-huh, yeah that's a lie," she scolded, "I saw you online when I checked socials, that's why I called the second time. You're such a brat, André."

Fade glanced around. "I told you to use my nickname."

"What, that 'Fade' thing? What's your deal with that, anyway?"

Fade shrugged, ignoring the fact that se couldn't see it. "I just like it better than André. It sounds cool, I guess?"

Alyssa sighed. "Yeah, whatever. So I was thinking we go grab some coffee tomorrow, catch up a bit. Sound good? You don't have a choice, anyway.

Fade smiled and opened his mouth to agree, before remembering where he was at. "Uh... that might be a problem."

"Of course it- what's it this time, Fade? Where are you, anyway? I know you like your adventures but you haven't been home all day."

"I'm not in town."

He could feel his sister roll her eyes dramatically on the other end. "Of course you're not. You went on another 'extended' journey or whatever. Where you at? I'll just come to you."

"Well... it's, like, uh... way out of town," Fade mumbled, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Fade. I just flew from damn Iowa for Thanksgiving. Where?"

"It's, uh, far, far. You know? Could take-"

"André. Where are you."

"...Seattle."

He could feel his sister's disbelief radiating through the phone. "The city? In Washington? You mean- okay."

"Hey, I could've been farther. Like NYC."

"Knowing you, you'll probably dip that way right after we meet, which we are going to do halfway in... I don't know, we'll figure that out at the border."