Stormtroopers Zero, Taget One

Why do stormtroopers have such terrible aim? An age-old question, one that’s been argued since 1977 when the very first movie came out. From there, the question only grew more entertaining to fans, with shows like “Star Wars Rebels” further playing this old question. There have been many speculations made by fans -and Star Wars- concerning the question. Most commonly being that troopers simply can’t see in their “buckets.” I choose to believe however that the answer lies deeper. Perhaps lying in the emotions of troopers rather than the actual skill.very fast transition kind of jarring Many were forced into working for the Empire due to the fact they lost everything to the Empire. That makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is how these self-sufficient people suddenly stopped hitting targets. They survived the Clone Wars protecting themselves with a blaster. It makes no sense that they can’t hit a target, or does it?

  When the Empire took to reign in 19 BBY following the fall of the Jedi Order, civilians were grateful. They were stuck in a raging war that appeared to have no end. The Jedi were being secretive, and they felt trapped. They were watching democracy fail and were starting to defend themselves more and more rather than rely on Jedi and clones. Palpatine always seemed sweet to the public, they believed they were getting a better government than the Republic. The Galactic Empire. It was soon however proved wrong. The Empire was not better. No, it was worse. The Empire would take everything from these people. In an episode of “Star Wars Rebels” called “Fighter Flight,” we meet a man named Morad Sumar. He knew the main character’s parents, and so we get to follow his perspective for a couple of minutes throughout the show. We watch as Imperials question him about wanting to sell his farm to which he replies no. We then watch later as Imperials no longer care and burn his farm to the ground. They imprison Sumar and a couple of others for reasons we can only assume. They get freed at the end of the episode, but the farm was still lost. The Empire had taken it from him without his opinion needed. Later in the episode “An Inside Man” we again meet Sumar, only under different circumstances. He’s helping the rebellion by working in a Lothal factory sabotaging different projects happening in the factory. In this episode, Grand Admiral Thrawn speaks to Sumar. The conversation goes as follows. Thrawn, “Worker 5473. You were pressed into the Empire’s service?” Sumar, “Yes, sir. After losing my farm.” Sumar then faces an untimely death after being forced to test one of his sabotaged projects. Now he may have not been a stormtrooper, but he was still forced into the Empire’s work. He was given no choice. What was in his name was stripped from him, given to the Empire instead. Now imagine. The Emperor doesn’t care, he only wants power. I would bet that all the soldiers we watch patrolling Tatooine or storming Tantive IV are salty civilians who lost everything and were forced into the Emperor’s hand. It now makes more sense who exactly is underneath the helmet.

  Now I know what you’re asking. “Sloane, why have you given me an entire paragraph about some random guy who wasn’t a stormtrooper in an essay about stormtroopers. That makes no sense.” But wait, it does. I asked you to imagine, did you? It’s clear from a perspective that no basic stormtrooper willingly joined. The helmets are hiding individuals who are unhappy, angry, fearful, everything. But they have hope, and as Cornelius Snow likes to say, “Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.” They know every day they’re shooting at people who are a threat to the Empire. A threat to the very thing that stole their prior lives. If a couple of rebels can steal some extra supplies or blow a transport up, that’s progress. Progress towards destroying something evil. They’ve been forced into something like Sumar and are now “rebelling” like Sumar. If they miss, that’s a win for the rebellion and a loss for the Empire. Now you might ask me, “Well Sloane wait! Why don’t they just join the rebellion and be like Finn? He was a stormtrooper.” And I hear your point, I do, but someone needs to be a stormtrooper. Just how someone has to be a school janitor, someone has to be a stormtrooper. Because someone always has to do the job. That’s what these individuals are doing. They’re taking the job someone must fill and using it against their employer. Missing on purpose. Not because they can’t see or have terrible aim. No. Because they want help end the Emperor’s reign. End the evilness. And so they miss. They shoot at the air around the target, allowing their “enemy” to live. They’re showing concern in a way most think improbable. They don’t want to harm their enemy because deep down, they are still them. Not a brainwashed Empire loving soldier. No, a real person. By missing, they haven’t killed or injured anyone, and they’re helping to slowly destroy the “government” that tried to destroy them. They use their hope and go on, aiding in such a simple way. A way many fans wouldn’t think of, but a way nonetheless. 

  Now, excuse me if I choose to believe that stormtroopers have personalities that are stopping them from shooting and not that they just can’t see Elliott. Elliott is a friend, and when I asked for his opinion he stated, “the helmet mask warp thier view.” Why I do understand this, especially after Luke Skywalker stated, “I can’t see a thing in this helmet.” that doesn’t necessarily matter. Stormtroopers spend most of their lives inside their helmets. Even if it’s the first time someone placed their helmet on, some amount of sight should be expected. The helmets don’t make you completely blind, some amount of aim should be expected. It shouldn’t be that bad to the point where a trooper doesn’t come even remotely close to hitting the target. Elliott countered back to my counter with, “While yes I agree that some level of normality would come to mind in the situation in episode 7 we hear the line ‘And who told you that you could take your helmet off now?’ that implies that apart from on duty time the troopers don't wear them. If troopers are used like a military then until it is time for action they are off duty.” I suppose from a certain perspective that it would seem there is a time for action and duty, but Star Wars never really gives us this. Going to your episode VII quote, we view Finn losing what is assumed to be his friend. Directly after he is scolded by his commanding officer for taking some time to assess his situation. We can make assumptions from this that they are rarely allowed to be without helmets. That taking their helmets off is seen as a sign of insubordination. For someone to practically live in something, it seems highly unlikely that their aim is so bad. I mean according to former Eurodite member Will, “Statistically speaking… you should have hit the target at least once by now, even by accident… I think your actually defying nature.” Then, directly after Will states this Beatrice Prior stops defying nature and hits the target. Therefore, statistically speaking, stormtroopers aim is impossible! And why! Why should we argue with statistics? The answer? We shouldn’t. So, why I may strongly disagree with Elliott’s opinion, I will ultimately respect it and agree to disagree. 

  It’s more than just a helmet, it really is. The problem is deeper despite what Luke Skywalker may point out. Different Star Wars canon, a couple of assumptions, and even statistics all prove it. The question is do you accept? Do you choose to believe my words? Because right now it’s just a therory I’ve made. It’s just a thought I’ve now placed in your mind. A thought can form, and that’s what I’ve started, but now you must take action. Do you choose to acknowledge it? Do you choose to accept it? Or do you choose to let it be? Following the helmet theory, the bad aim theory, or even your own theory instead. The rest is up to you now. You my dear reader must now make the brave decision and decide just exactly where you stand. Do you join me? Or do you stray elsewhere? Whatever it may be I will suport you and stand by you. But to each their own. I highly recommend rereading this persuasion if you do disagree but I won’t hold it against you. Because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what I believe and what you believe. No. What matters is that you gave my perspective a chance and I gave yours. Leave knowing you’ve branched out, reading something you don’t neccarly agree with. Leave happier and hopefully with a different perspective on stormtroopers beings. Realizing they are more than just bucketheads. Now remember, “The Force will be with you. Always.” Don’t worry though, stormtroopers won’t shoot you for believing in the Jedi, or Force. The Force is with them somewhere too.