one - j.s.

Janis Sarkisian wasn't one to express her emotions. In fact, Damian had to (playfully) threaten her to get her emotions out. He'd sit her down in her room and take her phone away from her until she would express some sort of emotion to him. Even if it was just a small, 'I guess I felt a little sad yesterday.' or a 'I pushed back an anxiety attack this morning.' it would do it for him. Janis knew that Damian could read her easily, and knew her emotions before she did ninety-nine percent of the time, but Janis was pretty sure he did this to keep her human and to make sure she didn't turn into an "emotionless robot. " (As Damian occasionally said.)

Janis really did have a lot of feelings. She just never talked about them because she felt bad about dumping her problems on Damian. She would think about that one day when she was twelve and how he pulled her away from her locker that had a slur scratched into it, and from everyone laughing and making fun of her. She'd think about how he pulled her into the gym locker room when no one was in there that same day, and how he promised to stay with her until she could calm down. She would think about how she cried to a total stranger who she barely knew about the ongoing issue that had started that morning. Everything that happened until that following year, Damian had been right there with her through it all, no matter what. Now it was approximately five years later and the two were almost inseparable. They knew everything about each other, and could read each other better than anything else. 

She was so thankful to have Damian in her life, and for being her rock when she had emotions she didn't know how to express, but right now she didn't know if she really loved having that connection with him. 

"You really like her, huh?" Damian said to Janis as they stood on the side of the gym watching everyone. It was actually more Damian watching everyone, though. Janis had her eyes on one person who shined like a star in the middle of the room.

She quickly snapped out of her trance and had just realized what he had just said to her. She had been watching Cady dance around in her North Shore mathletes letterman jacket for a good amount of time now.

"I do not." She said quickly, not making eye contact with him, and quickly playing with the edge of the plastic cup she had in her hand that was filled halfway with punch, but she was convinced that one of the guys in her grade (Shane Oman, probably.) had spiked the punch and it was now punch and vodka. Which didn't really bother her, but she didn't exactly want to drink and then accidentally tell every emotion that she had to everyone.  She was an emotional drunk on the very few occasions that she had actually gotten a little drunk. All she remembers is crying to his cats about all of her issues.

"That's a lie, I see the way you stare at her. And don't think I forgot about your breakdown after we left Cady's house that night. I ain't forget, Sarkisian. " Damian joked with her, nudging her in the ribs with his elbow.

"I wasn't sad. I was simply trying to figure out what to do with my life! And it wasn't a breakdown. It was a small spiral that we aren't going to talk about." Janis replied, turning to face him now making eye contact with him. 

"Yeah, what to do with your life because Cady wasn't in it anymore." Damian joked with her, taking the cup that sat in her hand as she anxiously swished around the cup and it's contents over and over again. "And now I'm taking this from you because if you swish this anymore, you're eventually going to spill it down the front of your white shirt, and this is red punch and I'm not willing to watch you breakdown over punch right now. Sorry, baby girl." Damian said jokingly, placing the cup on the table next to them that had been covered in a bunch of different snacks and tickets for games that were scattered across the gym. 

"That's probably for the best because if Regina does that annoying little head turn with her spinal whatever one more damn time, I'll end up pouring that punch on her head and her little goose dress." Janis said, looking over at Regina who had been talking to Gretchen and Karen. she observed the three plastics laughing together, and then watched the newest ex - plastic walk over to them. "What is she doing?" Janis blurted out to Damian, not realizing that she was staring at Cady again, and definitely not realizing that everything she said made her sound more in love with Cady than she already was. but nobody knew that, except for her and maybe Damian.