Chapter 1

Amy sighed as she finally made her way through the crowds to her locker.

"Crazy, isn't it?" Lauren asked as she stopped next to Amy and nodded at the crowd gathered around the table set up at the base of the stairs in the middle of the hall.

Amy nodded as she looked back at the crowd, leaning against her still-closed locker. "It's a good fundraising idea, though," she said. "Everyone wants to get something for their boyfriend or girlfriend for Valentine's Day. I think I even saw Madison while I was making my way through. Did you see what all they had?"

Lauren shrugged. "Some of it," she replied. "I saw single roses, small boxes of chocolates, little stuffed animals, boxes of those Sweetheart things, cards, and a few other things, I think." She paused for a minute as she looked at her friend. "Are you gonna get anything for Ben?"

"Probably not," Amy replied with a shrug. "Ever since he said he was backing off a couple weeks ago, things have been kinda weird, you know? I don't really know where I stand with him anymore."

"Do you think he'll get you anything?"

Amy shrugged again, "Maybe, I don't know." She turned back to her locker and put in the combination. A few seconds later, she opened the door of the locker and her eyes went wide. "Oh my God!" She gasped.

"What?" Lauren asked as she leaned around the open locker door so that she could see inside, her eyes widening as well as she saw the beautiful bouquet of a dozen red roses that had been carefully placed inside Amy's locker. "Is there a card?"

Amy carefully looked through the flowers and came up empty. "No," she replied shaking her head. "But they have to be from Ben, right? I mean, who else would send me flowers?"

Lauren just shrugged in response.

Carefully extracting her books for her first class, Amy leaned in and smelled the roses before pulling back and closing her locker with a smile and heading toward her class. About halfway to class, Amy caught sight of Ben heading the other way and her smiled widened into a grin as she quickly made her way over to him.

"They're beautiful!" She exclaimed as she threw her arms around his neck, hugging him.

Ben carefully hugged her back for a moment before pulling away. "Uh, what're beautiful?" he asked looking confused.

"The flowers," Amy said like it was obvious. "The dozen roses in my locker. They're from you, right?"

"No," Ben replied slowly. "Someone put roses in your locker?"

"But, if you didn't put them in there, who did?" Amy asked, unable to think of anyone else who would have left her flowers in her locker. Besides, Ben was the only other person with her locker combination.

"I don't know, but it wasn't me," Ben said, a slightly jealous tinge to his voice.

"Oh," Amy murmured softly. "Well, I'll see you later, I guess. I have to get to class."

And with that Amy wandered off down the hall to class, lost in thought as she tried to figure out who had given her the flowers.

Amy left her first hour class no closer to having an idea of who had put the roses in her locker than she had been when she'd gone in. Arriving back at her locker, Amy saw Lauren leaning against the locker next to hers.

"Hey," she greeted.

"Hey," Lauren replied. "So, did you see Ben? Were they from him?"

"Yes, I saw him. No, they weren't," Amy replied as she shifted her books and started unlocking her locker.