Ninety Nine

"Why is there a bowl on top of that crock?" Seri's eyes drifted between the bowl and her soldier turned brothers working in front of her.

"It's a bowl for freshwater." Eun Dong explained eagerly, his child-like smile lighting up the atmosphere easily, despite the heaviness over Seri's imminent departure.

"You mean the kind that was used for prayer?" Seri was quick to make the link.

"Yes." Eun Dong nodded.

"I think the person who lived here had a son who went off to war." Pyo Chi Su explained candidly as Seri listened with sad eyes.

"There are his photos in the room. We never touch one of those bowls. All of us have..." Pyo Chi Su looked up at Seri, slightly hesitant to show his true feelings in front of the woman who was nothing but trouble.

"a mother." He finally said, all the while keeping his hands busy and his mind occupied with the wood.

A mother...

Squatting down, Seri habitually pushed those depressing thoughts about her childhood away just as Joo Meok smiled at her.

"Your mother will be happy once you go back. She must have waited for you." He said enthusiastically. He was sure her eomeoni would be absolutely relieved that Seri was alive and well.

Seri felt her heart clench slightly at Joo Meok's words, finding it hard to find it in herself to believe him. Would she be happy? Was she really waiting for her? Yet, from experience, Seri knew that that was only wishful thinking.

"I don't know," Seri whispered, still lost in the sudden onslaught of thoughts revolving around her eomeoni.

Silence.

"You can see it from here." Joo Meok suddenly exclaimed, successfully distracting Seri from her thoughts.

If only he could do the same for the pang in her heart...

***

An hour later

It was the golden hour. Brilliant streaks of orange were woven into the beautiful sky, casting a new glow around Seri and Ri Jeong Hyeok who were seated side by side as they basked in the orange warmth.

It was ironic that another day has to end to welcome another new beginning. Yet, Seri and Ri Jeong Hyeok was dreading the end of today. Every millisecond that passed by was another millisecond closer to Seri's departure. As much as it was for her own safety, neither of them could bear to part with each other. Not when they formed such a beautiful camaraderie rooted deep in love, trust and respect.

"I heard what this is." Seri was referring to the bowl of freshwater.

"Someone offered prayers with water. Pyo Chi Su told me earlier. There lived a mother with a son who went to war 60 years ago here." Seri explained, her eyes were still sad from the heart-wrenching story she was told despite her attempt to be brave about it.

Ri Jeong Hyeok nodded with a slight smile, "I know that."

Glancing over at him, Seri blinked before she turned back to stare off into the far distance. Yet her heart and mind were occupied with thoughts about her eomeoni. "I wonder...if the mother saw her son again."

Ri Jeong Hyeok sighed softly next to her, recognising that there was a double meaning behind her words.

"If I await desperately with prayers, will I be able to see someone I miss?" Seri's eyes were glistening with tears now as Ri Jeong Hyeok finally looked at her.