Chapter 1

"That is the tenth time today that I've heard your phone ring. Aren't you going to answer it?" Dani asked Malcolm as she rubbed the sides of her temples. Malcolm declined the phone call that he was getting from his father and shook his head as he went back to reading the report that Edrisa had given them on their murder victim. "I'm not talking to my father right now so he can talk to my voicemail," He said as Dani took the report from him to make sure she had his full attention. "Look, I don't know, and I don't think I want to know about what issues you are having with your father right now, but looking at what we have with this case, we may need his help," Dani said to Malcolm who rolled his eyes as he took the report back from Dani, and went back to reading it. "I know you're going to call me stubborn, but I'm not going to see him and I'm not answering his calls. Besides, I can solve this case without him. Dani sighed as she got up from the table and left the room, heading to her desk to try and work out some stuff for their case on her own. "Hey, I'm heading to get lunch. Do you want anything?" JT asked as he approached Dani's desk. Dani looked up at JT and shook her head, "No, I'm okay. Thanks though." She said and JT nodded before he left. Not long after JT left to get lunch, Dani decided to step out and visit Martin at Claremont to see how he could help with their case. Of course when Dani left, she didn't tell anyone that she was going to see Martin because she knew that if she told Gil he would want Malcolm to go with her, and she knew that Malcolm would refuse to go with her and say that they didn't need his father's help. 

"I should warn you, Martin is in a bit of a mood since Malcolm keeps letting his calls go to voicemail." Mr. David said to Dani as they walked down the hall to Martin's cell when Dani got to Claremont. Dani scoffed and rolled her eyes, "Malcolm seems to be in a bit of a mood because his father is constantly calling him." She said as Mr. David unlocked the door to Martin's cell to let Dani instead. "Well you know the rule, don't cross the red line." He reminded Dani as she stepped inside Martin's cell. "Detective Powell, to what do I owe the pleasure of this surprise visit?" Martin asked Dani as the door to his cell closed behind him. Dani held up a file and walked over to Martin's desk to set it down. "Malcolm may be refusing your help on this case even though he knows that your help is needed and would be appreciated, but he can't stop me from coming here." She said as she set the file on Martin's desk and Martin walked over to take a look at it. "So trouble in paradise with the two of you, I take it then?" Martin asked curiously as he looked over the file. "Malcolm and I are not in a relationship and you know that," Dani said as she stood close to the red line without going over it. "Too bad, I can tell that the two of you like each other," Martin said casually, he palmed something from off his desk while Dani was distracted by looking at the file, and stood up straight, "I have a few points I could make to help you out with this case, but I normally only help Malcolm with this so I don't know why I should help you." Martin walked towards the middle of his cell as he spoke, Dani followed him to the middle of his cell, staying to her side of the red line. 

Martin had a plan as he led Dani to the middle of his cell. It was guaranteed a stupid plan, but it was a plan that would get Martin two things that he wanted, at a cost of course. "Malcolm was right, we can solve this case without you," Dani said as she stood in front of Martin, her back to the door to Martin's cell, giving Martin his perfect opportunity to spring his plan into action. "Careful Detective Powell, you don't want to say the wrong thing and anger the narcissistic psychopath, do you?" Martin said as he waggled his index finger at Dani disapprovingly. Dani rolled her eyes as she stepped as close to the red line without crossing it to show Martin that she wasn't afraid of him. Martin smiled smugly at Dani when he saw how close she stood to the line and he moved closer to the line as well. "I am so sorry for what I'm about to do to you," Martin said as he took the shive he had in his hand that he could only have gotten from another inmate, and he stabbed it into Dani causing her to stumble backwards before falling to the floor. When Dani's body hit the floor, Mr. David quickly made his way into Martin's cell to try and stop the bleeding after making Martin stand at the wall. 

Back at the precinct, Malcolm joined Gil and JT in Gil's office to talk about the case. "Where's Dani?" Gil asked as Malcolm closed the door to Gil's office behind him. "I last saw her when before I left to get lunch. Haven't seen her since I got back." JT said with a shrug. Malcolm sighed when he realized exactly where she'd be. "She went to see my father to hear his thoughts on our case," He said as he opened the door to Gil's office again, "I'll go get her." JT and Gil watched s Malcolm left Gil's office to go get Dani instead of just simply calling her. 

Once Malcolm got to Claremont and another guard had let Malcolm into the hallway that his father's cell was down, Malcolm saw the door to his father's cell was opened and Mr. David was knelt down over a body. At first, Malcolm thought that the person Mr. David was knelt over was his father until he saw a strand of Dani's hair beside Mr. David's leg. As soon as Malcolm realized that it was Dani who Mr. David was knelt over, he ran to his father's cell and knelt beside Dani. "What happened? Is she going to be okay?" Malcolm asked Mr. David, clear panic in his voice as he took over applying pressure to Dani's stab wound. "The paramedics are on the way. Your father stabbed her, I still don't know why though." Mr. David said as he stood and made his way over to Martin to keep him from leaving his spot at the wall. Malcolm looked up at his father who had a smug smile on his face. "YOU DID THIS TO GET BACK AT ME FOR IGNORING YOUR CALLS, DIDN'T YOU?!" Malcolm screamed at his father, clear anger in his voice. Martin's smug smile remained on his face, though he couldn't help but glance at Mr. David's ID badge that laid on the floor by Dani, the red key card slightly hidden by his ID badge. Malcolm noticed his father glancing down at the floor and followed his gaze. "Mr. David, what's that on the floor there?" He asked as he pointed at the ID badge with his free hand. Mr. David looked to where he was pointing, "My ID badge and key card, I don't know why but I took them off before helping Dani." He said and Malcolm looked over at his father's desk, spotting the bible sitting there. "Mr. David, do me a favour and open my father's bible to the page he has bookmarked," Malcolm said and watched fear flash across his father's face as Mr. David walked over to his desk and opened his bible to the bookmarked page. Mr. David picked up the green and blue key cards that Martin had hidden in the bible and showed them to Malcolm. "YOU STABBED DANI TO TRY TO STEAL A KEY CARD TO ESCAPE!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?" Malcolm screamed at his father as the paramedics entered the room to bring Dani to the hospital.