Chapter One: Last Day

Cyanne’s POV

               I sat bolt upright in bed and looked over at my alarm clock which read 7:15, I need to be at school in fifteen minutes. I will never make it. I rushed around my room looking for clothes when I noticed a large, black dress bag upon my nightstand with dread I remembered what day it was. The Test would occur. The Test is an assessment on how well you are learning and being taught. When you went in on the day of the Test you are required to wear the most formal clothes but thankfully we pick our own. Mine was a low cut, sleeveless black dress that went to my ankles. The outer edge was embroidered with pearls and opals of the black sheen. Quickly I showered and dressed, all while eating of course. Then I shouted for my sister, Tatiana. She had promised the night before to do my hair and make up for me, then drive me to school. Tatia, Tatiana’s nickname, quickly placed my hair into bouncy curls with a simple black pearl net pinned on top. The dusting of eye-shadow gave me an ethereal appearance and the opal at my throat gleamed in the light. I looked like a goddess.

                Upon arriving at school I rushed to class with a fervor I have never felt or ever had to use for that matter. When I threw open the door and ran in everyone stared. Ms. Lakmore simply nodded and said, “Get to your seat Miss Battins.”

             “Yes, Ms. Lakmore.” I said in a quiet tone, while gracefully walking towards my open seat in the back. I nodded to Jeremy when he waved at me and sat down quickly.

         Ms. Lakmore waited patiently until I was seated then called role for the day, “Anise Avery, Jeremiah Algoid, Patricia DuPren, Jackson Nilo, Nyra Forester, Henry Nichols, and Jamison Loughery.” I zoned out until Kyle’s name was called, “Kyle Lanson and Cyanne Battins. All here. Good. Today, as you all know in the day of the Test. The Test is a test created to determine where you should be placed for proper schooling. Now we have been given a list of the Test taking order, first up Kyle Lanson. Come with me Kyle, now.” Ms. Lakmore left the classroom with Kyle in tow.

     Jamie stood up and yelled, “What time is it?” Then out of pure stupidity I assume, Jeremy stood up and yelled.

 “Test Time!”

      I quickly stood and approached them calmly, looking in their eyes one at a time I said, “The Test is not to be taken lightly and joked about. Also you clean up quite well.” I then retook my seat in small measured steps to prevent tearing the fine silk of the gown.

Jeremy’s POV

     I was just sitting staring at the whiteboard while imagining different scenarios that would be Cyanne’s entrance into class. Then the door slammed open and Cyanne rushed in, her long caramel colored hair curled neatly in bunches at her neck. The lightly tanned skin of her face was blushed a deep red color because of the exertion of running. Her long black dress went from dark bunched material around her torso and waist; the dress then became a thin, almost transparent material that ghosted down to her ankles like silk. Her three inch heels covered her feet like gloves. The most striking thing about her appearance was her makeup, it was perfect with smoky eye-shadow and black eyeliner. Ms. Lakmore looked up and said to her, “Get to your seat Miss Battins.”

  “Yes, Ms. Lakmore”, was her only response. She then slipped to her chair rather quickly. When she sat I started watching her and never stopped until Kyle was called to the front for his Test. Then Jamie, he likes to think himself the class clown, stood up and shouted, “What time is it?”

  I responded with the answer, “Test Time!” Then Cyanne stood and stepped quickly and quietly across the room and stood before us, she was beautiful yet terrifying at the same time. She looked first Jamie in the eye then myself and said in an ominous tone, “The Test is not to be taken lightly and joked about. Also you clean up nicely.” The next thing shocked us because instead of attacking us she calmly took her seat again and stared straight ahead without any idea of time passing around her. That’s when Ms. Lakmore walked through the door and called her up front, “Cyanne Battins, your turn. Follow me.”

  Cyanne looked up nervously and ghosted towards the front, making every eye belonging to a male follow her, upon reaching the door she turned and glared at us before following Ms. Lakmore out of the door.

  Jamie look at me and asked, “You have a thing for her.” It was more of a statement then a question and my only response was a nod of my head.