The attack

The sound of feet hitting the ground quieted animals as they scurried away to hide from the danger sensed. Just as quickly, four paws trailed behind a young woman who was running for her life. Unfortunately for her, four feet were faster than two, and within moments he was nearly on top of her. She looked back to see two red globes staring at her, tripped, and fell to the ground.

The wolf focused on the human running away ahead; the thrill of the chase fueled its drive to persist. This particular human had a stronger will than most to live. He had to have her.

Pain ripped into Serin's ((Seh-rin) leg a moment after she fell. There was an audible thump as her rib cage collided with the mud and ground below.  Her lungs seized on impact and any air she'd had in them huffed out from her lips by force. The creature behind had caught up and bit right into her calf. Her fingers arched into claws as two long canines bit into her leg again and her piercing scream echoed through miles of forest.  

Far enough so that it alerted Others that something was wrong.

Rain poured all over her face as she tried to roll to the side knowing it would only make it worse, but she didn't care. Feeling desperate to escape the pain overrode any reasoning in the grips of terror. The wolf that had bit her leg let go, but a growl preceded when she tried to move away. Fear coiled in her gut as she decided if she could run or fight, but either way, she was sure to die. The pain told her that she'd lost a chunk of muscle or a tendon and was dead meat.  Adrenaline kicked in as she held onto the scream that no one would hear. Of course, she wasn't as alone as she thought. 

Suddenly, it seemed like falling asleep on the cliff hadn't been such a good idea. She'd climbed the hills overlooking Wolf Mountain and its valley a dozen times in the last two weeks. Her old life was hard, and she'd been on the run from an abusive boyfriend. Never one to stay in one place for long, she'd found a strange serenity here. 

To Serin, it was one of the most beautiful places she'd been. Only here a week, she'd come each day has drawn here by the magnetic beauty. People in town warned her never to cross the river between these cliffs and the other side, and she'd not listened. All that had occurred was that she fell asleep there and started back later into the night.

It was a mistake she would pay for.

Her strawberry blonde hair was covered in mud and dripped with water as she met the eyes of her attacker.  A wolf stared back with its wide red eyes, raised its lips, and snarled in a fierce display of its wrath. She met its gaze- a challenging stare-and those suddenly red eyes became amber.

Why is it so damned huge...she thought as she stared into its eyes. There were 'wolves', and then there was this thing...

I cry for no one, Serin thought as she felt the surge of rage fill her and directed it to the Wolf. She'd run from a life of misery only to run right back into it.

A moment went by. Then two.

Before she'd sense it, the rain had stopped. As the clouds cleared, the sudden light distracted her from the wayward attacker. 

Why had it stopped, she thought and looked up. when looking back, It seemed mesmerized by something.

In its full glory, the sky revealed a bright blue moon. Not even a moment later, another agonizing pain roared through her and she did scream this time. Something inside of her changed. It hurt, and she could almost hear her blood move to the thick beat of her heartbeat. The heat that felt too hot in her blood now burned through her. It was the type of scream one had before dying, that agonizing realization that there was no escaping what was to come. 

The creature beside her whined, but there was a deafening roar in her ears. It sniffed at her face but jolted back at the rustling to not too far shrubbery caught its attention.

He growled at them, but he couldn't be found or they would chain him again. Run or stay? The creature whined once more realizing what it had done and then ran off. 

The wolf took over the man inside once more the further he ran from her, and the creature darted out and away from the girl just as the Others arrived. Her screams echoed across the forest for a time, and then there was nothing but silence. If it were not for the bond that just formed, he'd thought she'd have died.

It was rare for a human to survive their bite. The ones that did were usually rogue, but they were tied to their maker. Even as he was, all wolf, he instinctually knew she was his. The human was once again buried within him. 

Would she survive it? It was so rare for a human not to succumb to death after a bite. Her pain, it was his pain. He could feel her like a warm ray of sunshine. Could she be the key to bringing him back? But that sun seemed to fade away the further he got. Why would his wolf attack? He'd been alone, unable to change back or control the beast, but it had never killed anyone. Even now, where he'd slept inside this wolf, he was aware again.

What was it about her?

Note: This may be a slower updated story. Just a heads up if you want to wait and read later.