My essay about banning plastic bags!

INTRODUCTION: 

 Do you care about animals that suffer from plastic? You can have fun making your own bags out of many different materials, out of anything you like. Stop Pollution When You Have Solution.

I am writing because I think that plastic is causing harm to our world, animals and people. Think about it, if there was no plastic, endangered species affected by this problem, would have not been threatened and our lands would not have been covered with plastic. You see the difference. A turtle does not.

If you use handmade or DIY bags, it can help nature. Alternatives to Plastic are Fantastic! Make your own bag and help save the planet from plastics. Remember, bring along a basket. Don't use plastic.

MAIN PARAGRAPHS:

Did you know that plastic bags are practical? They can hold more variety of items, such as things that are wet or that might leak. Also, plastic bags are more resistant to the elements. In rain or wet weather, the contents of the bag are less likely to get wet. Researchers in Chile have created a bag that looks and behaves just like any other plastic bag, but with a couple of important differences. This bag is not made of plastic, and unlike regular plastic bags it will dissolve in water, leaving no toxic residue behind.

Plastic bags discourage people from using more sustainable options such as cotton bags or more sturdy plastic. Every option has a different sustainability footprint when it comes to the energy and water used during the manufacturing process or its end-of-life disposal. Some options will be more sustainable than others.

Although substitutes for plastic bags will also need to be recycled at some point, the volume of waste will be much lower because they last longer. Here in Canada some people still think that plastic pollution, especially in our oceans, is not a Canadian problem. We recycle, we have good waste management systems, do beach cleanups, and generally we care about the environment.

Almost all plastic is derived from materials like ethylene and propylene made from fossil fuels but mostly oil and gas. When we think of plastic pollution, we think of images of plastic bags on the beach, suffering marine life, and the almost invisible smog of microplastics in our ocean. What often gets overlooked is the fact that conventional plastic , and is a product of the oil and gas industry. The process of extracting and transporting those fuels, then manufacturing plastic creates billions of tonnes of greenhouse gases. For example, 4% of the world's annual petroleum production is diverted to making plastic, and another 4% gets burned in the refining process. Alarmingly, at least of discarded plastic also enters our oceans each year, and plastic pollution at sea is on course to double by 2030.

Plastic bags discourage people from using more sustainable options such as cotton bags or more sturdy plastic with a longer life. Many environmentalists argue that plastic is worse than paper. Climate change, they say, isn't the only form of environmental degradation to worry about.

Many people would use more durable options if plastic bags were not so readily available.Reusable bags last much longer than plastic so many less would need to be produced to satisfy demand. Next time you go to a store, decline the bag. Often store employees are instructed to separate different types of products in different bags or use a bag for only one or two items.

Some people might argue that producing cloth and cotton bags is also bad for the environment and that these bags will end up in landfills. They claim that growing cotton requires huge chemical fertilizers and pesticides to grow. Many less cotton bags are produced, so the cost to the environment is much less that the massive cost from introducing plastic into the environment. For at least a few decades, Americans have been drilled in the superiority of tote bags. Reusable bags are good, we're told, because they're friendly for the environment. Disposable bags, on the other hand, are dangerous. Municipalities across the country have moved to restrict the consumption of plastic shopping bags to avoid waste.

Natural cotton has much less environmental impact when it does end up in the landfill. Not only that, but there are many alternatives for reusable bags other than cotton. Given the concerns pulling us in different directions—our health, the environment, climate change—what's an environmentally responsible, health-conscious shopper to do? Let's compare the main bag choices—plastic, paper and cotton—to try to answer that question.

......................................................................................

CONCLUSION:

Do you care about animals that suffer from plastic ingestion and oceans filled with islands of plastic bags? You can have fun making your own bags out of many different materials, out of anything you like.

I am writing because I think that plastic is causing harm to our world, animals and people. Think about it, if there was no plastic, endangered species affected by this problem, would have not been threatened and our lands would not have been covered with plastic. You see the difference. A turtle does not.

If you use handmade or DIY bags, it can help nature. Alternatives to Plastic are Fantastic! Make your own bag and help save the planet from plastics. Remember, bring along a basket. Don't use plastic.

If you ever forget your bag and think about using plastic, also think about all the wildlife that will be suffering. Plastic bags cause harm to the environment and kill wildlife. Plastic can also release harmful chemicals into the surrounding soil, which can then seep into groundwater or other surrounding water sources, and also the ecosystem. Remember that the manufacture and discarding of plastic bags is increasing climate change and global warming. Plastic bags are a threat to human and animal life on the planet and their availability discourages more sustainable options. We all win when we get rid of plastic bags because life is much better without them. The use of plastic bags must stop and you have the power to make it happen. Stop using plastic bags, and write or email your member of legislature and ask them to ban plastic bags immediately. Do all this for a better, green tomorrow. You can be the solution to stopping plastic bag pollution.

Plastic bags are causing troubles on earth. They cause problems to the ocean because they look like jellyfish and the big sea animals, such as whales and turtles eat the plastic and choke! Plastic bags cause trouble on land by going into our landfills and filling the earth with garbage! The garbage is choking the planet, say NO to plastic!

Sources:

advances.sciencemag.org