1

"What are you saying, mom?"

  "You heard me! Darren is not your father. So he is refusing to pay for your college. You'll have to get another job."

  "And you just decided to tell me this, only two months before I graduate?" I look between my mom and dad. Slash that. The man that I grew up thinking was my dad. "How do you know that I'm not your daughter? I look just like Angie." I ask dad.

  "That's because you are my niece. Your mom slept with Brian when I was in jail. I was in jail from March until August. We had broken up in January. You were conceived in April. There's no way that I can be your sperm donor."

  "Why tell me now when all these years you have known? I even asked you all through my first semester,  if you were still paying for half of my tuition. You always said that you would pay half. Even last week, we were talking about it!" I cried. This can't be happening!

  "Yeah well, I changed my mind. You have half of what you need for two years. Instead of going to an expensive college, go to a junior college. I will only charge you a hundred dollars a month for rent."

  "And yet everyone else lives here for free!" I stand and start pacing. I can't believe that they are doing this to me! "You both said that you were proud of me for getting good grades and getting accepted into a good college. I was supposed to sign the commitment contract next week. Now my whole life is upside down. You guys really know how to screw up a great thing! The only reason that I didn't apply for grants or scholarships, was because you have always said that you'll pay. You're both liars!"

  "Don't blame me! Your mother is the one who cheated."

  "That makes two of you! You are sleeping with Gail Jackson and her sister!" Mom gasped in shock. "Don't act so offended mother! You are sleeping with Gary Burke! You two deserve each other!" I went to my room. What the hell am I going to do now?

  I look at my phone. Then dial the number. "Yeah?"

  "Brian, this is Bethany. Can we meet up and talk?"

  "What's wrong, Beth?"

  "I need to see you face to face. Please, uncle Brian."

  "Alright, I'm at work until seven. Can it wait until then?"

  "Yes. It is almost seven now."

  "Alright, I'll swing by your place."

  "NO! No, please. I'll meet you at the diner." I offered instead. That is halfway between the station and his house. I wipe my tears off my face. "Please?"

  "Alright baby, I will meet you there in half an hour."

  "Thank you, uncle Brian. I really appreciate it!"

  "Anything for you, baby." He hung up.

  I grab my keys and bag. Leaving my room, I hear mother and him  arguing about cheating. I pass them without stopping. I get into my car and drive the fifteen minutes to the Corner Diner. I pick a corner booth in the back. Away from everyone else. I sit with my back to the window. I know that Brian will want his back to the wall. A habit formed from Kuwait.

  I look up a conception calendar and filled in my birthday. The fourth to the tenth of April. What the fuck?

  Dad, Darren, went to jail on March sixteenth until August twenty-first. There is no possible way that Darren can be my father. Even if they hadn't been split up as he said. I take a sip of my tea. I don't understand why this is happening now!

  Brian slips into the booth across from me. "Hey, what's with all the tears? What's wrong, baby?" He wipes my face as he searches my eyes. Eyes that are just like his. Gray!