COUP de GRÂCE

Marry Your Daughter
By: Brian Mcknight Jr.

   "So, Mjio, when are you planning to have your bridal shower?"

  "Maybe bukas na ate. Tomorrow evening ha since I have a check-up in the morning."

We are eating our dinner at our dining area. And we are talking about Mjio's upcoming wedding na mangyayari na next week. Everyone's excited.

  "Mia..."

I looked up to them.
"Hmmm?"

  "Won't you go with your sister in her check-up? Have your baby checked too."

"No bampá. I have mine scheduled. And my check-up is on Friday."

   "Anyway, where is that jerk of a man for whom is the father of my grandchild? Won't he show himself here? Won't he take the responsibility?"

  I shrugged. Even I know nothing regarding Mattheo's doing since our last meeting. Tita Elspeth told me that Mattheo's busy with bailing himself out.

   And that was 2 weeks ago since Tita told me that. Up until now, wala parin akong alam sa kung ano na ang nangyari sa kaniya. Was it that hard to bail out?

  "What are you planning to do with the father of your baby, Mia?" Bampá is waiting for an answer.

  "Honestly, I expect something from Mattheo, bampá. We were already okay when we last talked. If ever he wants to take responsibility of my baby, he would do something about it."

  Ate Pryce held my hands and squeezed it. Reassuring me again. And I smiled at her then continued finishing my meal.

   I don't know if it is the hormones attacking, but I am starting to feel pain, I am starting to sulk. I am starting to feel bad at Mattheo.

    Later on, we heard a strum of guitar.

  "Who's that?"

"Maybe the neighbor. Mahilig kumanta yung nakatira sa kabilang bahay."

  Mang Toni then came inside the room. "Sir, may mga lalake po sa labas. Sa tingin ko, dito na galing ang dalawa. Hindi ko lang matandaan ang mga pangalan nila."

  Tumayo kaming lahat at madali na lumabas ng dining room. Curious with the men outside our house that Mang Toni's pertaining to.

  And I was more than frozen in my place, right at the doorstep as I saw Mattheo outside our gate.
  I can see him in his...uhm...

"Let them in."

Kaagad na sumunod si Mang Toni sa sinabi ni bampá.

   Mattheo's eyes instantly roamed around the house and on people whom are already outside. Curious.

Then our eyes met. He smiled.
"Princess"

  Where did the microphone come from? He is now holding a microphone–a wireless one.

  "Good evening, ma'am, sir. Please, spare me some time."

    My eyes diverted at my parents whom are just staring at Mattheo.

  No one answered and there was pure silence for a minute there 'til Mattheo cleared his throat and the guitar started to play a tune again. And Mattheo surprisingly sang.

   "Sir, I'm a bit nervous
'Bout being here today
Still not real sure what I'm going to say
So bear with me please
If I take up too much of your time"

   My hand climbed up to my chest. I felt my heart started pumping and pumping and pumping unusually as I listen at his voice. His deep voice.
  I felt my stomach moving.