☁︎

credit to gif: https://frailuta.tumblr.com/post/190373752221/makoto-shinkai-snow by frailuta on tumblr

com/post/190373752221/makoto-shinkai-snow by frailuta on tumblr

My name is Aran, Aran Ojiro.

I was born and raised in Southern Japan in the prefecture Hyōgo.

Winter is here. February to be exact.

What are your first thoughts when you hear "February"? Cold weather? Playing in the snow? Probably Valentine's Day, your birthday, a national holiday. Or actually nothing in particular?

Doesn't surprise me. It shouldn't mean anything to people our age.

Wanna know what I think of when February is approaching?

"Honey! Could you help me with something?"

Stress.

"Honey!"

I push myself away from my desk where I've been studying for the upcoming test in homemaking. Who would have ever thought they would test children's cooking skills...

Slowly, I drag my feet over to the kitchen but make sure to quickly grab the bilingual dictionary from the shelf in the hallway. Considering her tone and what month it is, I already know why she's calling me.

I hear my little brother in the living room, talking and playing by himself with his toys. We are only a few years apart but the difference is immense. He looks so small to me, fragile even though he is absolutely not.

Through the opaque glass that is embedded in the kitchen door, I can see a very colorful spot where our wooden dinner table should be. I let out a small sigh and push the door handle.

Sheets, documents, letters of various colors are spread all over the table. Two big folders are overflowing with unsorted paper. Behind all this mess sits my mom, desperately trying to decipher what the sender of the letter in her hands wants from her.

"Honey, come here." She waves me over to her. "Can you translate this for me? I can never understand what the tax office wants from me."

Yup. It's tax return time.

I walk over to her, put the dictionary on a less occupied spot on the table, and let my mother put the letter and various other documents into my hands. She doesn't notice my slightly irritated expression.

"And this one right here... we got this in the mail earlier this month if you don't mind. Also, can you search for the documents I have to send in for the tax return?

Do you know how long this will take because you and dad never bother to organize your documents?

"Mom, I've probably explained–"

"I know, I know, my dear," she holds up her hands in defeat, "but it's just way too complicated. I can't even read all the kanjis."

"And you think I can?"