Act One;

We talked about making itI'm sorry that you never made itAnd it pains me just to hear you have to say itYou knew the game and played itIt kills to know that you have been defeatedI see the wires pulling while you're breathingYou knew you had a rea...

I'm sorry that you never made it
And it pains me just to hear you have to say it
You knew the game and played it
It kills to know that you have been defeated
I see the wires pulling while you're breathing
You knew you had a reason
It killed you like diseases
I can hear it in your voice while your speaking you can't be treated
Mr. Know it all had his reign and his fall
At least that's what his brain is telling all
If he said help me kill the president
I'd say he needs medicine
Sick of screaming let us in
The wires got the best of him
All that he invested in goes
Straight to hell

(the vampire diaries season 3)

[warning]
This story may contain explicit sexual content, violence, gore, murder, profanity etc.

As for the characters I just want to give slight background so there's no hate going in. Salem wants very mundane things from life such as the white picket fence lifestyle, she has goals for herself but she kind of contradicts them by reducing them. She was fairly innocent in all of this and yet her part becomes the most important, she goes from being the girl reduced to being one of the many people trying to help Elena and the salvatores day by day to being the most important character, this girl that has this undeniable attraction with the villain of their story. She's still a teenage girl with insecurities and a major overthinker which you will see throughout.

Klaus on the other hand sees so much in her, not just the connection or attraction but the potential she possesses to be more than what she reduces herself to and part of the allure is that he kind of offers her more to life than what she imagined possible, and a lot of that is the rush of danger.