[18] ᴛᴏxɪᴄ

Note: This was originally a Peter Parker oneshot that I have in my docs but its honestly one of my best and too good not to share,, ofc its just been edited to be quack boi

"I mean... who wouldn't love you..."

*****

"C'MON NAT, I AM SORRY! I COULDN'T JUST LEAVE MY MOM HANGING!"

"YEAH, AND I GET THAT, BUT AT LEAST A CALL WOULD'VE BEEN NICE! NOT JUST A TEXT FROM Y/N TELLING ME AFTER TWO HOURS OF WAITING THAT YOU WERE BUSY!"

"I thought we were just trying to have pizza and play Minecraft..."

"Yeah, but nowadays, whenever those two get involved, there's always a storm brewing..."

Karl and I sat in Alex's apartment in California, I, on his bed with a pillow in my arms and Karl tense on the floor, as we listened to every nasty world that was thrown at the other. The screens on the big monitor and laptops displayed the same 'Game Over' screen as Karl and I awkwardly waited for today's fight between the couple to come to an end.

It was always like this.

It has been for the past 5 months.

We'd all try to hang out like a normal group of friends, whether on-call or IRL, but there's always a tension in the air that causes Alex and Natalia to get into a fight. And you would think I would be happy about it, considering I've been in love with Alex for who knows how long, except for the fact that they keep going back to each other.

The fights always escalate quickly but then are suddenly over and done with by a single kiss and a few mushy words.

Usually.

But, for some reason, tonight seemed different.

We had just come over for pizza, which turned into "let's stream something," and one thing led to another and now the two are fighting over multiple things, not just what we should play. Things from missed dates to other responsibilities and jealousy.

"YOU KNOW WHAT?"

"WHAT?"

"I'M DONE. WE'RE DONE. GOODBYE."

The sound of the door slamming shook the entire apartment building. Karl and I sat in silence as we waited for something to happen.

Maybe Alex will go chase her down?

She'll come back and leap into his arms and they'll start apologizing like crazy?

It's not really the end... is it?

My thoughts were interrupted by a stunned Alex walking through the white, wooden door - the only thing that had been separating the drama from the video games.

"Natalia... dumped me..." He barely managed to croak out the three words before Karl and I both rushed to his side.

We led him to his bed, sitting him down gently while he just sat in shock.

Karl decided that it was probably best to leave the block adventures for another night, so he made a quick call home before turning off all the screens and making his way downstairs.

Leaving me alone with a newly-single Alex.

He stayed silent the whole time Karl was packing up and leaving, so I figured it was probably best to leave him alone for the night. Just so he can let the thought of not being with Nat anymore fully sink in.

"You should rest, take some time to... let it sink in. I'll text you tomorrow," Alex and I were super close, like to the point where our closeness was one of the stars of a few too many fights between him and Nat. I pushed the few dark locks peeking out from under his beanie back in place as I gave him a soft, hopefully encouraging, smile.