chapter one

Careful not to wake Sable, I changed into my training attire; a beige blouse paired with a black underbust corset and leggings. I plucked my dagger from under my pillow and tucked it into the sheath strapped to my left thigh. Grabbing a flask of water I folded the tent flap over and stepped into the wood, silently padding out of the clearing and into the thick forest away from the only home I can remember.

The air is chillier than usual.

Sister Obadiah took me in and taught me the old science when I had nothing but a cheap jade necklace to my name.

I've been rising with the sun for the greater part of a year. The King's Infantry recruited me from the market one afternoon, something about me having a "warrior's build". I like it, it gives me a sense of purpose and something to do outside the mundane routine I've had to follow since living with the sisters. Don't get me wrong, I love them- but I've never felt as though i was one of them. It's like they all have roots here as deep as a white oak whereas mine resemble more a redbud's.

"Ever the punctual, Eira" Hodge declared, the words reverberating in the cool glass house which couldn't have been any less furnished.

Mats overlapped on the cold concrete floors and leather punching bags hung from the high mosaic ceilings. The building seemed to have been some sort of oversized green-house. Every kind of plant dangled from beams. There was a light buzz every morning when the sun just started to peak through the sun catchers, creating dancing rainbows.

Hodge was a man who rarely had anything to say. People who have known him for the larger part of a decade know little more about him than his name.

He was a short man, but certainly muscular. His head was a few polishes away from being an excellent mirror and I often caught myself casting reflections of light upon it; regularly halted by his icy glares.

He was a well known commander for the Infantry and people often say something terrible had happened during the Northeastern wars, causing him to resign.

But I don't usually believe words thrown around by the battlement.

"Sorry, Hodge." I grinned a knowing grin for the three words I was often on the receiving end of: "Sir to you" he grunted before turning around and assisting Kota with his arm.

"I'm really fine, sir. The wound is shallow you can go and assist the others"—he was met with Hodge's signature scowl.

I piped up "Kota's a big boy, sir. I'm sure you needn't bandage him", Hodge tightened his scowl and pulled firmly at the knot of the dressing. Kota looked up at me with pleading eyes which read help me. I grinned again, warming at the idea of him being at my mercy.

I trotted to my usual spot in a small corner of the green-house. It didn't get as much early morning sun as the rest of the room, more serene that way.

My wrist was covered in marks where I usually kept my hair ribbons.
Shit.
My gaze fell on the closest person who didn't have