Ch.1

Running down the castle toward the ballroom i see that there are few people in the castle halls left.
My father asked the servants to help prepare food for the people outside who need it.
Two guards greet me at the door and i have to catch my breath. Adjusting my new lilac and golden dress i sigh and nod.
The two guards open the doors for me and i hear that my father is angry. I walk in and look at only him.
"You asked for me, father." I say and bow slightly.
"My beautifull daughter." He says and calms down as he walks to me. Placing a hand on my cheek he smiles. "The war we are facing is too great for us. You have to go in hiding if it gets too dangerous here in the castle." He sounds sad.
"What about mother?"
"She is getting more and more sick, but she can get treated if she leaves the castle." He says as i grab his hands.
"Does she need me to go with her ?" I ask carefully.
"I think she would like that. But you have to get ready quickly then, my child. You have to leave as early as the gods allow you." He says.
I nod and now i look around to see the councilman standing and looking at me. They never liked me because my mother only concieved me and not a boy or an other child. I am supposed to be queen someday. Altough if we lose this war then i wont be a queen, i wont be a princess. Ill be dead. My father told me the Arilya would make peace if i married the prince. Not only was i 50 years younger then him, his kingdom hated the females. They would cut them open on the streets, rape them in a bar for everybody to see and enjoy.
Thinking about it makes me want to puke. And they were Fae. Fae and humans are enemies. So father didnt give them my hand and now our people are starving.
Of course we arent loved by everyone, but we are better to our people than they are for theirs.
Lord Wisner looks at me. He is the youngest and 10 years older then me. He did always flirt with me, but so did other men here at court.
"Good evening to you Lord Wisner." I say calling him out. He turns red, bows and looks away.
"Good evening, princess Estelle." He says.
"My child, we are going to a war meeting. Get yourself ready and go with your mother to find her treatment in Folaris." I nod and walk out. Lord Wisner walks after me and grabs my hand as he shoves me into a closet.
Trying to get myself lose i look at him.
"You pig, let me go!" I say loudly and he sighs.
"Princess its not safe for you to go. There are monsters in the forest and you could be killed." He says sounding worried.
"I get that you are worried, but, Lord, this isnt the way to tell me. You should have told my father. Now can you let me go or should i shout for the guards." I say.
He looks at me and sighs. "I already tried that, princess."
"Well, leave it be then. I gotta pack. Go to your little war meeting." I say walking away.
My maid finds me in the halls and looks at me.
"What is wrong, princess?" She asks and i smile sadly.
"We need to get me ready for a journey, and a fight. Can you find Ress and Troy, i need them to come with me and train me in sword fight." I tell her.
She nods and walks away. Giselle has been my maid for 5 years. She can call me Estelle but chooses not to. I respect her.
Walking into my room i grab a bag and pack black, white and jade blouses. Black pants and an extra pair of strong boots.
Im not going to wear a godsdamn dress in the middle of the forest. Cant even run in those things.
Packing breast bands and i look through my room.
All this luxury and i dont need any of it. Maybe when i come back ill give it to some people who need it.
Putting in socks and underwear. Thats all. Ill be fine. From here to Folaris is a 2 day walk. We are in our summer castle instead of the castle we actually life in most of the time.
I untie my dress and get changed into black trousers, white blouse, strong boots and put on a knife belt.
"Damn i look good." I mumble.
"You sure do Elle." A male says. I turn around and see Logan in the door opening.
"Hello pervert. What is the reason you are here ?" I say and put the knifes in the belt.
"I heard my favorite niece is going away. I wanted to come. They dont need me here anyway." He walks over to me and fastens the knife belt. "Why are you even wearing this stupid thing. You dont even know how to throw a knife." He mumbles.
"Well to look intimidating, and i dont think you are coming with." I say stepping away from him. Giselle walks in.
"Princess, Ress and Troy are ready. Your mother is packed up as well. There are 4 other guards who will come with you." She says.
"Thank you Giselle." I smile and hug her. "Take care, stay safe. You can always stay in my room." I whisper in her ear. She nods and smiles.
Looking back, Logan is just yawning. I roll my eyes and walk away. My bag in my hand i walk down the stairs towards the stables.
My father is outside saying goodbye to my mother.
It must be hard for him. To be all alone here. Well not alone but just not having his family nearby.
Father sees me and kisses my mothers forehead.
Mother walks to the guards and i walk up to father.
"This suits you better than the dresses and ballgowns." He says smiling. I smile too.
"Yes it does." I state.
"Here, you have to have a sword to go with that gear." He hands me a sword. The pommel is a jade stone. I smile and take the sword in the scabbard from him.
"Thank you, father."
"Keep your mother safe, and dont return untill its safe." He says and i nod.
"Goodbye father."
"Goodbye my dear Estelle."
I walk towards my mother and Ress. Nodding to Ress, we walk away.
Ress hands me a farmers hat and i put on a jacket. He looks like a farmer as do the other guards.
My mother goes into the farmers cart. She wears a ruined dress. I get in next to her and lay her down so she is resting nicely. Ress goes and sits in front and grabs the leads to the horses. Troy sits with me and 3 other guards.
My mothers head is on a haysack and i smile at her.
"Are you comfortable enough?" I ask and she nods.
I look at Ress and nod. Not long after we ride away from the castle and i look around. Troy looks at me.
"Why did you want me and Ress to come with you?" He asks.
"You are the ones i know train the newbies. I am after all a newbie. So train me in swordsfight, please." I ask him.
He smiles and nods.
"Sure, oke show me your sword." He says and i lay my sword in his hands.
"Oke, now tell me where is the chape." I point to the bottom of the scabbard.
He nods.
"Well done, if i pull it out of the scabbard, where would the Ricasso be?" He says and pulls the sword from its scabbard. I point to the bit of iron that is in front of the rain guard.
He nods again.
"What is it for?"
"Extra grip?" I say.
"Almost, the point of a ricasso is so that you can lay your index finger above the cross guard and have more grip strength." I nod.
"Okey tell me what the hilt is."
"Its made out of the pommel, grip and," I close my eyes thinking. "Cross guard."
"Good. What is the purpose of the pommel?"
"I dont know."
"It is a counterweight to the blade." He says. The other guards are looking at us.
"What is the fuller used for and where is it." A guard asks. I smile.
I point to the groove on the sword.
"It is used to lighten the blade, right ?" I say.
"You are smart, princess." He says.
Troy laughs and nods.
"Almost smarter then the newbies." He winks and i laugh.
"How do you find the balance of the blade ?" Troy asks and i grab the sword from him. I lay it on my finger just after the hilt. Not on the rainguard but just below that. It falls from my hand in the hay on the bottom of the cart.
"Close, it does depend on the sword you have. This one is a bit heavier in the blade." Troy says.
"And now, what is the weakest point of your sword." He says.
"I think in between the point and the fuller." He nods.
"Amazing. Tomorrow your training will begin. First off, cleaning and sharpening your blade." He says and smiles. Its already dark so i do get it.
I nod.
"Thank you."
"Thank me when we are done training you." He says and hands me the sword and scabbard.
I lay besides my mother and softly talk with her before we both fall asleep.