1- The lonely boy

The lonely boy

You've been assigned to decorate the gym in preparations for the school festival. As you head towards the door, at the corner of your eye, you see a lonely boy hitting a volleyball by himself, tears rolling down his face. You contemplate whether or not to go up to him just as you see the volleyball team practicing inside and as a way to hold off interacting with them, you decide to ask him what's wrong.

You- what's wrong?

He wipes his tears away and smiles as if he never cried.

Him- nothing much...

There's a pause before he goes on.

Him- My parents forced me to leave the volleyball team. They said it would get me distracted from my studying, that's all.

You- oh, is that your team inside?

Him- yeah, there's no point going in anymore

You- well now their is!

He looks at you with confusion. That's the first time you notice his catlike eyes that glow and draw in curiosity. You freeze for a second.

You- uh.. well you can help me decorate the gym. The festival committee wants it done by tonight. You don't mind helping do you?

Him- I guess not.

You- btw, what's your name?

Kenma- Kenma, you?

You-(your name)

You and Kenma both make your ways towards the gym. The sound of balls flying and loud shouting from angsty teenage boys get closer. As you and Kenma step inside, everyone goes silent and stare at Kenma but you notice one particular guy stare off to the side not making any gaze with Kenma. The guy has jet black hair that falls down to his face covering one eye.

You- uuhhh... I'm sorry but all use of the gym is gonna have to be postponed until next Monday. We're getting ready for the festival.

Everyone groans at the news except one-

The guy- come on guys, pack it up. *He says it in a serious stern voice you almost become afraid of him. *

Everyone helps to pack up the equipment and heads out one by one. The guy with the hair is the last to pack everything up taking responsibilities of the balls. As he walks to the door he stops for a second besides Kenma still not looking at him and then leaves.

You silently unpack all the decorations from the boxes and then you hear Kenmas' voice break the silence.

Kenma- that guy, his name is Kuroo. He's my best friend... or at least was. We've drifted since I left the team.

You- oh, sorry to hear about that, he seems like an intense dude.

Kenma- yeah, he's the best on the team, well besides me *smiles*.

It's then you realise that Kenma has a bit of humour in him and his small smiles that come every now and then would catch you off guard. You find them very cute. At this moment, you find yourself blushing and look away.

You- hey can you watch the ladder for me while I set up the banner?

Kenma- No problem

As you set up the banner, you see a grammatical error on it and get caught of guard and forget you're on a ladder. Before you can compose yourself, you're already trembling. The ladder is swinging from side to side and you find yourself falling from a height of 8 metres. You close your eyes not prepared for what's to come but there is no thud, no crash, no bang. When you open your eyes, you find yourself within the warm arms of Kenma. He looks down at you, into your eyes, with a face of panic.

Kenma- a-are you alright?!! I should've been watching better.

You- no no, it was all my fault. It's just there was a grammatical error...

Your voice fades off and you're finding yourself staring into Kenmas' eyes and he stares into yours. It stays like that for another 10 seconds before-

Kuroo- uhh should I come back later?

Kuroo is at the door, god knows how long he's been there. You and Kenma both struggle to get up but eventually manage.

You- Kuroo right?

Kuroo- yeah, sorry but has anyone seen my jacket?

Kenma- did you leave it in your classroom again?

You look over to see Kenma this time staring into the wall as he speaks. There must be some intense history with these two.

You- well, we can help you look for it.

Kuroo- sure, as long as he's ok with it.

You give Kenma a look to see if he has any objections.

Kenma- do whatever you want, it's getting late so I'm going to head out but get home safe ok?

You feel your cheeks warm up with the last words Kenma says.

You- sure, you too.