Prologue: The shield, The shovel, & The spade

Long ago, the lands were untamed, and roamed by legendary adventurers!
Of all heroes, none shone brighter than Shovel Knight and Shield Knight.
But their travels together ended at the Tower of Fate; when a cursed amulet wrought a terrible magic.

When Shovel Knight awoke, the tower was sealed, and Shield Knight was gone.

His spirit broken, a grieving Shovel Knight went into a life of solitude.

But without champions, the land was seized by a vile power: the Enchantress and her Order of No Quarter!

Now, the tower is unsealed, and devastation looms.

A new adventure is about to begin...

   Upon the hills and farmsteads, a lone knight is seen tending to his fields; the shovel in his hands worn from usage. Years had past since the knight used his shovel for anything other than tilling the soil of the earth, but no matter how hard he tried to forget he would remember the nightmares that would plague him in his sleep. The reoccurring image of his beloved shield knight falling from the heavens, unable to catch her as unseen means prevented him from doing so. Stopping to look over his progress, the knight would remove his helmet to wipe away the sweat that started to gather around his forehead.

This was his life now, for better or worse.

              With the day drawing towards the evening the man, placing his helmet back, would make his way back to his little hut, not looking forward to another night of restlessness. Slinging the tool over his shoulder the cerulean Knight headed off. As the sun began to set upon the horizon, the Knight would take one last glance over his shoulder as he came to the door of his shack; the colors of the dusk painted itself across the sky and above the fields, a sight not too uncommon out in the country. Just as he would turn to head in, a stumbling silhouette upon the horizon would catch his attention. It looked to be lumbering around the outskirts of the fields before collapsing, causing the old knight to go on guard and check it out. Shovel in hand he'd make his way to over where the figure had fallen, prepared to battle if need be, yet he wasn't prepared for what he would find next.

           The crunching sounds of the gravel under his shoes were the only other thing he heard apart from his heart pounding against his rib-cage, adrenaline coursing through his veins as he'd make way to where the figure had fallen. One part of him thought it could be his beloved shield knight, but that was a slim chance to be real.

 After what seemed like an eternity of trekking after this figure, Shovel knight had thought that perhaps he was mistaken from his lack of sleep; that he's been hallucinating this whole time.

'There was no figure, you dolt!'

 "Ah who am I kidding? Did I honestly expect to find someone out here in the twilight, let alone her? Sometimes I swear, these sleepless nights are going to get to your head, old boy-" a light groan caught him from his little soliloquy, causing the knight to turn towards where he had heard the sound. Through the grass he would find the figure in tattered clothing singed and torn in several places, scratch marks and bruises littering their uncovered skin.

    "By the troupple king..."

   Turning over the figure the knight would find a peasant girl; dirt and grime covering her face mixed with dried blood coming from a wound to her head. Seems like moving her had reopened it, fresh blood began to trickle from the cut. Shovel knight began to panic slightly, dropping his shovel and scooping up the lady within his arms he'd bring her back to his hut.

___