Prologue

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! Just so everyone is aware, this story is set in the early 19th century. There will be topics such as race, slavery, colonization, prejudice, sexism, and more mentioned in this book. However, this book is simply a work of fiction. Not every aspect of this book may pan out as it would in the real world. This book has no intent of offending anyone or minimizing the hardships that many individuals went through during the era. It is simply my attempt to bring diversity and light to a group of people who often are overlooked and ignored in works such as these. I hope everyone will enjoy the book. Thanks for supporting me.

On the island of Jamaica, the young people would often gather round to spend time with each other. Cracking jokes, having a drink of rum, smoking cigars. Boys were rowdy and fooled around, and girls watched on and chatted amongst themselves.

Eula stood with her friends as they resided in the woods. They all chatted and laughed with one another. The girls all wore flowing, white dresses that kept cool in the summer breeze. A group of British boys on holiday were nearby. One couldn't seem to stop looking at Eula.

He made his way over with a confident stride.

"I must say, you're the most beautiful girl I've ever set my eyes on." He complimented. He had copper colored hair that looked blonde in the sun. And his eyes were green. His nose was strong and Welsh, and his voice was the same.

Although she knew she wasn't supposed to, she took the compliment. Eula was aware of just how beautiful she was. Her fair skin, her loosely curled hair, the way her dresses always were stunning.

However, Eula was negro and he was white. She figured that it wouldn't make much of a difference, she had such light skin after all and her eyes were light as well. It could easily cause confusion, for anyone who set eyes on her assumed her to be various races. This complicated Eula's identity.

Eula figured that the Brit knew of her black blood. And so she allowed him to play around with her. They eventually walked off to somewhere more private so that they could further become acquainted. Behind a bush, they had the most intimate exchange. Eula's friends were shocked to find that her petticoat was no where to be found once she and the Brit emerged from the private brush.

They couldn't keep away from each other. Every day they would arrange to meet in that very same place they met. But the Brit told Eula he had to go home, and he promised to write to her. He upkept his promise, writing her regularly unbeknownst to her family.

His letters would be filled with passions that Eula would never repeat. They dripped with descriptions of how he'd be with her not only emotionally, but physically as well. If someone were to read those letters, they could easily assume they'd already committed some for the acts suggested on those pages.

And everyday, Eula anticipated the letter she would receive announcing his return.

She waited...

And waited...

And waited.