bonifacio the katipunan and our history

Born as Andres Bonifacio y de Castro on the 30th of November 1863 in Tondo, Manila. Considered as the Father of the Philippine Revolution. Which I believed that he was really so. He founded the secret revolutionary society called the Katipunan movement or the Kataastaasang Kagalanggalangang Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan (KKK / " Highest and Most Respected Society of the Country's Children").

The Katipunan was a secret society, with it's main objective was to have an independence from the Spain's colonial government by armed revolution.

When Rizal was deported to Dapitan in 1892, due to his political agenda for reforming the Spanish government in our country; and of organizing a group called La Liga Filipina. In the absence of Rizal; Bonifacio, Apolinario Mabini and others  pursued and revised the group Rizal had started.

Bonifacio had been working on both organizations; the La Liga Filipina of Rizal and of the Katipunan, which he founded by himself. As the middle and lower classes had lost hope in the movement for reform from the Spanish government, many had joined instead fully to the Katipunan, which involved more radical changes thru armed revolution and oustering the Spanish colonialism from our country.

The Katipunan had it's own laws, bureaucratic structure and elective leadership.

Bonifacio had developed a friendship with Emilio Jacinto, which became his adviser and confidante. He applied the Kartilya primer of Jacinto instead of his Decalogue, because he believed Jacinto's Kartilya was much more superior. This already showed, that Bonifacio was humble enough in his abilities and also, gave credence to the talents of other members. A democratic in dealings with people around him.

In every secret society, there should be a publication to expressed their missions and aspirations for the organization, they had created Kalayaan ( Freedom). A collaboration between Bonifacio, Jacinto and Pio Valenzuela. It was sad really, they only created one printed issue. Bonifacio had written lots of articles in it, one of which was the poem entitled "Pag-ibig sa Tinubuang Lupa" ( Love for One's Homeland), he used a fictitious name Agapito Bagumbayan.

The Kalayaan publication in 1896 allowed them to recruit more members to the cause; from less that 300 to 30,000 to 40,000 members by August 1896.

Then the Philippine Revolution had begun.

Thru my readings, Bonifacio was the Presidente Supremo of the Philippines. He should be in equal footing with Dr. Jose Rizal, as a National Hero. His love for our country was unparalleled.