Her

Her

She had just gotten out of work, being a corporate slave didn't make Her happy. Wanting to drink her sorrows away for the fourth night in a row she went to the local Inn. "Your fourth time here, you'll drink us out of business" That comment didn't amuse Her. The drink she cradled gave her a sort of comfort, like holding the child she never had, the pet that she was never allowed to have. The thoughts that swirled around Her brain, was it too late to have a child, should I dare bring a child into the world when I can barely take care of myself most of the time. Rising from Her seat, she walked into the bathroom to just think, breath, get a grip of herself. She didn't understand. Was she that bad? Had she let herself go?

She looked into the water stained mirror and stared at the reflection.

"Are you happy now?"

"No, I never was. I thought I could escape my troubles by trading with you but I want my old life back."

"You chose Her, you wanted to be Her. You are Her now"

"I was always Her, I want to be Me, I just wish-"

"You should know by now, wishing gets you nowhere"

The reflection took one last look at Her before vanishing.

"I guess being Her isn't what it's hyped up to be"

She had had enough of this. She needed to escape but where?

The library. Filled with knowledge and empowerment. Where the ostracized had a sense of comfort. She burst out through the Inn's doors, breathing in the cold night's air. Running as fast as her legs could take her, she knew she didn't have much time left. She was the prey now. Huffing and wheezing, she arrived and swooped in through the back entrance of the library. Her sanctuary wasn't safe. She looked at her watch. Shit. She was too late. Her past would catch up with Her and she would be... No. She still had a morsale of hope. She ran past sections of young literature and science fiction. When she felt her whole body being pulled backwards. Her button up got caught on the hook of the cart, she tugged. Her loose sleeves not granting her any mercy.

Then she stopped. It had chimed. The grandfather clock sat at the bottom of the stairwell had cursed her fate. A window smashed and a fog of black flew in. It smothered her with a heavy vengeance. And like that, Her life was taken away.

"Patient31102020 didn't survive"

"I thought she would, better try again"

"Let's hope the next batch of kids are not wishers, Wishing gets people nowhere"